Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detroit Rocker cam owners in here! MPG question

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Default Detroit Rocker cam owners in here! MPG question

I'm really interested in the new Brenspeed cam, but one question I have yet to see answered. How does your MPG compare before and after the cam?

I average 20 MPG city and 25 MPG hwy. How much can I expect to lose or maybe get lucky and remain the same?
Old 05-25-2010, 06:34 PM
jwharton
2nd Gear Member

I drove from Kansas to Brenspeed in N. Webster and averaged 23-24 mpg hand calculated on 91 octane with all my mods below except the Detroit Rockers, Steeda deletes, underdrive pullies and the dyno tune for the cams. I too was nervous about the fuel economy change but was reassured by Chandler that they had not seen more than 1-2 mpg drop in economy, which I could live with. My goal was to stay 20 or above. I left Brenspeed and headed South through Nashville, then Memphis and over to Dallas. I got 25-26 hand calculated on mostly 93 octane fuel. Then when I started buying 91 octane and headed North back to Kansas, I was getting 23-24. That was almost all highway. Since I have got home and doing my mixed driving, I have been getting 21-22. Our gas in the Wichita area is poor and incosistent from other places I've been and that's why I'm not boosting this car like others I have done....too much detonation and tuning problems. Now if you stand on it all the time, it will drop to 16-17 but it it almost impossible to make it get that bad of mileage over a whole tank. My in dash mpg actually reads lower than actual, first one I ever had do that. I could not be more happy with the butt dyno results, driveability and the economy with these cams. Before I'm asked or accused...I don't work for or get paid to promote Brenspeed, I'm just a happy customer. I know this was long winded but i hope it helps...oh I don't want to forget my disclaimer "your results may differ"...LOL.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:41 PM
T.Wayne
1st Gear Member

Default CAI + CAMS

22.5 MPG Highway was my average before the JLT CAI and Brenspeed Tune.
After I installed the CAI I got 24MPG and all the throttle I wanted.
After the Detroit Rockers and the 3:73 26.5 MPG.
The test trip was non stop from Cincinnati Ohio to Camp Perry Ohio on Lake Erie.
The other thing to get to State Rt. 2 some city driving thru Toledo off of
I-75 average speed 60 MPH. I'm totally happy that I have added MPG I think I will go hug a tree lol Really add HP and see MPG increase it like a dream and I'm waiting for something to break but it has not and I never have had 1 issue with my car just fun. To the team at Brenspeed as always thanks.

TW
Old 05-25-2010, 10:22 PM
bamawake
1st Gear Member

im amazed the cams helped the gas mileage I'm not well versed on after market cams but i would have assumed they would hurt MPG's
Old 05-26-2010, 12:49 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

So it seems the consensus is that I don't have to worry about MPG loss.

What about charge motion plates? Guess I should install those as well for the added increase.

What about having a Diablo Predator tuner from 2008, can Brenspeed email out tunes for that platform or will I be required to buy a new tuner?
Old 06-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Brenspeed informed me they can't send a tune for my Diablo....sucks. That means I either have to get a custom dyno tune or buy the SCT to use the Detroit Rockers.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:40 AM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

I have them as well and like stated before 16 to 17 with my spirited driving. I drove from webster, indiana to brownsburg,in and got 20. Today we are going to winsconsin dells, wi so i will hand calculate that and see what i get. 93 tune.

When i say spirited its getting on it maybe once a day.