Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCT gains 16 rwhp/30tq with tune only

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 02:02 PM
SLVSTNG09
2nd Gear Member

Nice post!! Very well put.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:04 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dkersten
Believe it - the tune makes the most difference on these engines over just about any other component you can bolt on.
Do we have a dyno of a stock, then tuned, then tune and intake 3 valve? I'm not doubting your logic, and I had the same thought. Without numbers however, it's simply speculation.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:15 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

its not speculation...go do some research, dynos sheets are posted on sct, predator, C&L and various other manufactures sites

Last edited by howarmat; 06-10-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:23 PM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by replica
Do we have a dyno of a stock, then tuned, then tune and intake 3 valve? I'm not doubting your logic, and I had the same thought. Without numbers however, it's simply speculation.
The problem is, usually the only people who really have the opportunity to dyno every little change before and after are the manufacturers or performance shops who are trying to sell their equipment. None of them are going to show results that definitively prove that a product they sell doesn't give a noticeable improvement with all other things being equal. This is why you see advertisements for CAI/Intake combos with advertised increases in performance, but seldom see reliable results of standalone products. No reseller or manufacturer is going to advertise something that screams "my product isn't worth it."

So you turn to performance shops who have nothing to gain or lose from testing something, and take it all with a grain of salt. A good example is Kenne Bell's website. This is a company who has spent tons of time to test individual products in a controlled environment with a precisely calibrated dyno, just to see if the product would show increases in conjunction with their own superchargers. They have tested all sorts of configurations of intakes and exhaust under varying conditions and circumstances, and come to some interesting conclusions. Unfortunately, as a company who sells FI, they don't do much research on bolt on performance mods, but if you look long enough, you can start to sort the hype from the real data.

Another place to look is here on the forums.. If you search a bit you can come up with the occasional example of someone who changes from one CAI to another, and only modifies the tune to account for the MAF housings. I have seen posts where people dyno before and after on cams, intake manifolds, LT headers, shorty headers, mufflers, UDPs, CMDPs, and all sorts of different combinations of those items. After a while, you start to get a feel for what is giving the power, and what isn't. All it takes is research.. I would love it if I had the time and money to start with a stock s197, baseline it, then tune it, get a new baseline, and then start swapping parts, dyno testing after each one, and then trying different combinations, all while not changing the key power factors in the tune: AF ratio and spark advance. As long as those two factors remain the same from test to test, the power gains and losses you see are a result of the product you changed, not the tune. There is a science to finding accurate results, and you have to discount anyone who is not following that science.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:35 PM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dkersten
Look at it this way, if the cold air intake was so restrictive to cost the engine that much power, they (Ford) would have opened it up to get more power. You think a simple tweak in an inlet tube or filter would be left on the table if it could give a massive power gain?
You mean like they did with the Bullitt and 2010 GTs...adding 15hp?

I believe that the tune accounts for most of the hp gains but the CAI on 2005-2009s is more restrictive than on other Mustangs, isn't it?