Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang S197 GT stabling on 4 ramps (up and down) Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 09:59 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

this has got to be simply a troll

this process isn't hard, and we've made too many good valid suggestions that this guy has ignored or created some stupid unbelieveable reason why it's unsafe.

do the damn jackstands and quit pussyfooting around. it isn't hard. if you are really worred about the car rolling, do 1 side a time vice front & back. set your damn e-brake and leave the trans in gear. put a brick/wood/wedge by the tire.

quit making this seem like it's f'ing rocket science. it's a jack + moron. sometimes that equals more stupidity, but I think you might be safe
Old 07-06-2010, 11:49 AM
malelo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
I do have to ask why you couldn't lay two lengths of something like 4 x 4 's between the ramps and the base of the end wall to the garage.

Norm
Hello Norm,
excuse, but what is a "4 x 4"? In Germany its unknown. I think you mean a bar with an edge lenght of 4"
On the end of the garage are a motorcycle and heavy other things before the wall. I have no place to put these things to another place....Sure, with the bar behind the ramps on the wall, the driving on the ramps is easy, but all this is not the question i have.
But, i dont know, why some guys here make such big words. If i go on their nerves, why do they write.
Im only interesting in some tips and nothing else.
A friend of mine had bad experiences with lifting a car on jack stands. He had 4 of this 3 Tons jack stands. He took 2 hydraulik trolley jacks under the rear points and raise the car to remove the rear jack stands. Only 1" higher than the jack stands. When he lowered the car, after the half way the front jack stands (solid square 10x10" only 1/3 out massive) overturn and the car rolled back. The jack stands dont brake, they just overturned. They were correctly positioned under the car specified points. He was lucky, that the car stops after a meter, because the wheels of the trolley jack stops at an edge.

Some threads are really helpfull!
In the next days, when i have time, i will test different methods.

Thank you very much for your informations.

Greetings, Mario

Last edited by malelo; 07-06-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

A "4 x 4" is a piece of lumber of those nominal dimensions, given in inches. Think workbench legs and framing, pressure treated fence posts, and maybe outdoor deck construction. You must have something similar available, if perhaps not identically sized.

Something about your friend's jacking arrangement was not stable, but there isn't enough information to say what it might have been. It is possible to tip a good 4-leg stand up on only two of its legs if you aren't paying attention.

Or the jack was not rolling slightly as it should to avoid introducing horizontal forces that would actively try to overturn jackstands that were already set and carrying load. A wheel might have been sticking or been caught in a pavement crack. A little shot of engine spray assembly lube at the jack's casters every once in a while makes those things roll a lot easier, too.

Norm
Old 07-07-2010, 04:14 AM
malelo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Or the jack was not rolling slightly as it should to avoid introducing horizontal forces that would actively try to overturn jackstands that were already set and carrying load. A wheel might have been sticking or been caught in a pavement crack. A little shot of engine spray assembly lube at the jack's casters every once in a while makes those things roll a lot easier, too.

Norm
Hello Norm,
this is a very good tip! Maybe the little wheels on the trolley jack blocked...and then sure the horizontal forces...these little wheels on the hydraulic trolley jacks are made from steel, often rusty and not well mounted or without any oil.
I got to take a good look at mine.

Thank you for your tip!

Greetings, Mario
Old 07-07-2010, 10:58 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

After reading all this, it seems to me that if you cant figure out how to jack up the car then you probably shouldnt be working on it in the first place.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:54 AM
malelo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
After reading all this, it seems to me that if you cant figure out how to jack up the car then you probably shouldnt be working on it in the first place.
PNYXPRESS
Bored? Or only a "loudmouth" problem? When people ask something and want to learn something or want to talk about experiences, i would never answer like you. Who are you? You dont know me and my skills and expertise for all intents and purposes.
Excuse me, but my english is not good enough to answer you adequate. But im learning every day. Im so happy that not all people are like you.
Try this! incorrect behavior
Old 07-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

Maybe you can get one of these.

http://www.kwiklift.com/features-all.htm

Or one of these other types.

http://www.kwiklift.com/
Old 07-09-2010, 04:40 AM
malelo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Ugly
Maybe you can get one of these.

http://www.kwiklift.com/features-all.htm

Or one of these other types.

http://www.kwiklift.com/
Hello,
thanks for the links! This lifts look very good. I saw something similar at different car shows here in Germany.
But the price in the USA is more attractive than here. (Youre lucky) The problem is to get it to germany without paying toll and taxes and so on. I have to add 50% from the price here. I have to save my money for a while. Maybe one day i can get something like this. For working on my motorcycle i have a hydraulik platform to lift. Very helpful.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:19 AM
atomicpunk
1st Gear Member

After you finally get the car in the air can you please post pictures?
Old 07-09-2010, 07:09 PM
irishpwr46

good god man just jack the car already!