Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smooth starts from 1st gone on 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 09:36 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LostBoyz
I would say that 400hp and a steep first gear is plenty enough to need to slip the clutch for a smooth start
I'm not following this very well.

A steep first gear typically means that you have less need to slip the clutch, not more.

Maybe an old-school carbureted 400 hp engine of around 300 cubic inches/5 liters would have a greater need for clutch slippage (due to poorish off-idle torque), but most any recent EFI contains an anti-stall provision of some sort that adds throttle when extra load is sensed or the rpms drop "unexpectedly". Even the aftermarket Accel/DFI system that I bought nearly 15 years ago for the Malibu in my sig has this feature.

Now if you're using clutch slip as a way to minimize, say, wheel hop, that's something else entirely and is really beyond the scope of this particular discussion.

Norm
Old 10-27-2010, 10:47 AM
jmatero
1st Gear Member

As an owner of a 5.0/manual with 3.73 rear end... AND someone who has mainly driven manual Miatas and BMW 3-series until my stang:

I test drove the 5.0 with manual for 2 months (every rear end offered, at least a dozen test drives...) before buying mine. EVERY SINGLE CAR had a fabulous clutch... Progressive... Best launches in first of any car I've owned. The shifting action in each was also superb...closest to my Miatas and that's saying a LOT. In fact, it was the clutch and tranny that sold me on the car. The weekend I took delivery, everyone who drove it couldn't believe how amazing the shifting was in the car... The clutch as well. That is NOT the same car I dropped off at the dealer Monday. I suspect the bolts started backing out slowly around 500 miles and things slowly went downhill from there.

When I read on these forums about non-pedal-TSB related clutch and shifting problems on the 5.0 I would recommend owners go down to their dealers and test drive a new one on the lot. If yours doesn't work exactly like that, TAKE IT IN! It is NOT normal. Watch the multitude of 5.0 stick test videos on YouTube and there's not a grinding gear to be found and everyone drools over the clutch/tranny.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:21 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Mine seems clunky shifting from 1st to second.. sometimes it's hard to get into first at a stop.. and a smooth shift into second (meaning the stick sliding into gear smoothly) is rare for me. That said.. ive been diving autos exclusively for the last 10 years (all sticks before that).. and it may be me just getting used to a manual again.

Regarding riding the clutch.. is it that bad? I mean.. you pretty much have to ride the clutch when in reverse.. and nearly impossible to get all the way into 1st when in dense traffic. Surely things aren't going to fall apart with a little clutch slippage in 1 st.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
Regarding riding the clutch.. is it that bad?
Yes. Sliding friction builds heat, which can glaze the friction surface of the disc or even "burn" the pressure plate or flywheel. Eventually, the clutch will simply slip from adding throttle in 4th gear or higher. Can you say "clutch replacement time"?

I mean.. you pretty much have to ride the clutch when in reverse
No, you don't. For at least one technical reason, there is usually less friction to overcome in reverse than in first.

.. and nearly impossible to get all the way into 1st when in dense traffic.
No, it's not. The engine has more than enough torque at idle to keep you rolling at somewhere between 5 and maybe 8 mph with the clutch fully engaged and your foot completely off the throttle. Even when you cannot avoid slipping it, you can use the least amount of throttle and rpms so that you generate the least amount of heat.

Surely things aren't going to fall apart with a little clutch slippage in 1 st.
A little, no. But any more than a couple seconds worth at the very most is more abusive than necessary.

FWIW, two of the cars in my driveway are past 100,000 miles and are still on their original clutches. Four different drivers. A third car (that we no longer have) made at least that far.

Norm
Old 10-27-2010, 12:03 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the info! Regarding reverse.. maybe it's my poor driving.. but when backing into the garage and such, fully disengaging the clutch seems dangerous (too fast). I need a little more practice I guess. I used to be great at driving a manual.. I can't believe it has taken me this long to feel comfortable with the 6-speed. Tread hijack over
Old 10-27-2010, 03:01 PM
jmatero
1st Gear Member

You shouldn't have any problem getting the lever into a gear and there should be no grinding. Take it in!
Old 11-04-2010, 09:24 PM
jmatero
1st Gear Member

I got the car back Monday. They replaced the flywheel and entire clutch assembly. I noticed right away that launches from stop in first were smoother. However ther shifts from 1-2 and 2-3 are just not smooth. It's like there is something wrong with the synchro. It doesn't always grind badly but something is definitely up. Ugh. Guess I have to bring it back again. I can tell you that shifting is much better above 3500 rpm's but it is NOT the same shifting action as when it was new.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:36 PM
johnnyv555

ok not sure this is the what is causing your issue but...I noticed the same thing after I installed a "can tune" from the SCT tuner I bought. The "can tune" made the throttle difficult to modulate for a smooth take off in first gear. I bought three tunes from Bama and it instantly cured the issue, so my thoughts are it might be a mapping problem? Maybe you can "reboot" the mapping on the car, it just sounds so simular to what I experienced when I changed the tune....