Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2011 5.0 Caught Fire while I was driving it

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 03:47 PM
dstowe2003
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
I would agree that Ford at least needs to be extending a loaner....It's great that Ford wants to analyze the problem, but after potentially setting the customer on fire, Ford should suck it up and replace the car. Honestly if I were in Dstowe's shoes I would never buy a Ford again, and my story would be heard far and wide and potentially persuade others not to buy Fords.
I should definitely have a loaner!!!!
Old 05-19-2011, 03:53 PM
dstowe2003
1st Gear Member

Hey all,

How ya doin?! Quick update, I emailed pictures and my story to CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, and also to my congress woman Allyson Swartz. Hopefully one of these news stations will give me a call and help this process.

Still nothing from Ford, called again today and it just frustrates me to hear them say "We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you, but it is in the hands of the Ford's General Counsel." Okay, yea yea yea. So this is how they run people into the ground, so tired of this. ugh!

No luck with lawyers either, everyone tells me that Geico should be paying off the car and that my car can't be considered a lemon because it hasn't been in the shop 3 or more times. I know, it's been in once for the smokey smell and now it is permanently sitting in the shop. I think that 3 months of a car sitting in a shop with everyone scratching theirs heads should account for over 3 visits to the service department. Am I on planet Earth here? What did I miss, this should be simple.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:56 PM
mobydick
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Dude, don't be a d**k to the Ford rep! She's trying to help as best she can. If you can't be constructive or positive GTFO!

I don't know of ANY other automotive forum that is not OEM sanctioned that has what I consider a dedicated OEM rep keeping an eye on the threads to address issues like these. She didn't have to get involved! I'd hate to lose that because of people like you.

Does it suck the car has been down for that long, absolutely! I'm sure Ford is trying to make sure they don't have a Prius situation on their hands so until they figure things out they're going to keep quiet. Nothing is worse than having to back pedal after you think you resolve something.

dstowe2003: I can't imagine the frustration and the amount of patcience you must have to deal with this. I'm sure this will get taken care of appropriately. Ford didnt' get to where they are today without taking care of their customers.
My post are Constructive and Positive, yours on the other hand is not. You are the one being adick.

If ford Even remotely thought it had Pirus situation on its hands the car would have been bought back a new car put in it's place at no cost to dstowe2003 and that one taken to Dearborn and the engineers would be all over it! That’s not what’s happening.

What’s happening is the dealer doesn’t want to replace the Wiring Harness for what Ford wants to pay. The dealership has most likely has no techs that has ever done it. Replacing a Wiring Harness is not easy and it’s not done very often. I suspect there might be some paint issue also!

If you don't like that put me on your Ignore list and STFU!
Old 05-19-2011, 04:01 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

This is rediculous and I feel your pain..........hoping for a speedy resolution! You are taking the right actions. Maybe "Dateline NBC" could help out????!!!!!
Continue to keep us posted.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:04 PM
mobydick
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dstowe2003
Hey all,

How ya doin?! Quick update, I emailed pictures and my story to CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, and also to my congress woman Allyson Swartz. Hopefully one of these news stations will give me a call and help this process.

Still nothing from Ford, called again today and it just frustrates me to hear them say "We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you, but it is in the hands of the Ford's General Counsel." Okay, yea yea yea. So this is how they run people into the ground, so tired of this. ugh!

No luck with lawyers either, everyone tells me that Geico should be paying off the car and that my car can't be considered a lemon because it hasn't been in the shop 3 or more times. I know, it's been in once for the smokey smell and now it is permanently sitting in the shop. I think that 3 months of a car sitting in a shop with everyone scratching theirs heads should account for over 3 visits to the service department. Am I on planet Earth here? What did I miss, this should be simple.
Most states vehicles can be lemoned if it hasn't been fixed within 30 days!

I'm all about Fords

Go to this website and Register and tell the story www.Yellowbullet.com. Post it in Trash or Be Trashed. Ask for the bullets help. This is a wild wild west type of site. Thousands (1,330 online right now) of people will see the post and the dealership will most likely be inundated with calls if you are telling the truth!

I'm going to give you a little warning though if you are lying they will find out and you will be the one taking the ****ts.

Last edited by mobydick; 05-19-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:59 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by mobydick

If you don't like that put me on your Ignore list and STFU!
Errrrrrrrr, I suggest you do the same Sir.
Derf00 should have said "don't be a mobydick" instead but I guess he got lazy with his typing...
You're the one with the stupid bovine excrement comment remember?
The Ford rep isn't saying she's got any kind of pull on this matter, so she cannot put herself as a decision maker for Ford.
She's an enthusiast like the rest of us and this Forum isn't set up for resolving legal matters.

destowe2003: Go to the clerk of your local court and ask them you want to file a small claim against Geico... I don't know about your State but in FL it's a $75 fee last time I checked. This will get the ball rolling.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:12 PM
mobydick
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Errrrrrrrr, I suggest you do the same Sir.
Derf00 should have said "don't be a mobydick" instead but I guess he got lazy with his typing...
You're the one with the stupid bovine excrement comment remember?
The Ford rep isn't saying she's got any kind of pull on this matter, so she cannot put herself as a decision maker for Ford.
She's an enthusiast like the rest of us and this Forum isn't set up for resolving legal matters.

destowe2003: Go to the clerk of your local court and ask them you want to file a small claim against Geico... I don't know about your State but in FL it's a $75 fee last time I checked. This will get the ball rolling.
It's done

That's because that's exactly what it is, Bovine Excrement!

That’s right she is a Customer Service Rep, her job is to pacify disgruntled customers. She has no authority to do anything. Like I posted they are useless.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:36 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Pascal, I disagree with you, at least based on how it is in California.

1. The amount sought might exceed the jurisdiction of small claims court.
2. You can't be represented by an attorney at the initial hearing.
3. If the plaintiff loses, that's it--no appeal. You can bet that the insurance company representative will be well-prepared by the company's legal staff. If the defendant loses, the defendant can appeal, and attorneys may represent each side.

I still haven't figured out on what basis GEICO denied the claim.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:31 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
^^That's SLOW progress^^ =-)
fixt.

This is just ridiculous.
If we had a problem like this this with one of our fleet cars, one call to our Ford rep and it would be corrected in a day or 2, and our customer in a rental until it was resolved. End of story.

I guess thats what happens when you buy 1000's of Fords a year, but still, it's the little man (or girl) in this case that really counts in my opinion.

Reminds me of the 2010 Ford Ranger 2.3L recall, fuel line's rubbing on plastic engine cover, rubbing through and causing engine fires. Just saying.................

CYA Ford, because if a few more of these cases of the Mustang surface, it's bad news for you!
Old 05-20-2011, 06:56 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Art161
Pascal, I disagree with you, at least based on how it is in California.

1. The amount sought might exceed the jurisdiction of small claims court.
2. You can't be represented by an attorney at the initial hearing.
3. If the plaintiff loses, that's it--no appeal. You can bet that the insurance company representative will be well-prepared by the company's legal staff. If the defendant loses, the defendant can appeal, and attorneys may represent each side.

I still haven't figured out on what basis GEICO denied the claim.
That's what sucks, because it could be a different deal from State to State.
In my experience, I had customers do this more than once here in FL and it worked really well.
The OP will never know if she don't ask...

A case where a customer took her car to me for re-doing the work after the "preferred" dealer recommended by the Insurance (Geico again , lol), totally butchered the job on her car...
It was replacing a quarter panel and tail light section and the damage amount was around $3000 if I recall.
They re-issued a check for that amount to my shop (I couldn't believe it) and I started from scratch.
The door was hitting the quarter panel, no gap. LOL.
Geico did sent their supervisor to check up on the car to make sure we indeed replaced the butchered new sheet metal and welded it properly this time.
What a Circus drama that ordeal was...

The OP has to check all her avenues on her case because it will drag even more and I'm afraid that the dealer might charge her storage on top of things.

Quick Reply: My 2011 5.0 Caught Fire while I was driving it