Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford responds to the NHTSA investigation of manual transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 06:43 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

I don't even know what this "lockout" is. I just passed 2,000 miles and never skipped from 1st to 4th. Is lockout supposed to prevent the car from shifting into 2nd at any point?
Old 11-10-2011, 06:50 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Maraman
Was he supposed to be banned or something?

https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...es-owners.html

What am I missing here?
I think he was handled/warned through PMs and he has been quiet since...
I haven't dealt with him so I don't know all the details or which Mod/Adm. took care of this issue.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:46 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Thrashard340
As Pdonket pointed, my assumption of a 3% failure rate was premature. I do not know the actual #. What this also means is that the failure rate can actually be lower than 1%. Does anyone have actual #'s to back up the failure rates? So we really do not know, right?
The 3% figure was actually admitted by Ford itself, FoMoCo fessed up to that percentage.
But with my skeptical mind along side of yours, I am wondering if that 3% are all accepted and legitimate problems diagnosed by Ford dealership techs and accepted by FoMoCo?
If the 3% mean customer claims only, not actual diagnosed and accepted problems, I wonder just how many of those did indeed result into actual diagnosed and accepted problems that resulted in legitimate warranty claims of TSB fixes under the various TSB procedures in place?

Unless Ford clarifies and says the 3% figure is the sum of actual and legitimately diagnosed and accepted problems, we can only guess what the true problem percentage is.

Originally Posted by Thrashard340
I don't even know what this "lockout" is. I just passed 2,000 miles and never skipped from 1st to 4th. Is lockout supposed to prevent the car from shifting into 2nd at any point?
The lockouts can occur when upshifting to any gear, be it to 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th, from any lower gear. Skipshift is a designed feature that does the lockout, but the lockout people are describing are not from skipshift.

I get lockout from a gear every now and then, but very very rarely now since I have over 20K miles on my car. The lockouts that I used to get frequently was not from skip shift. I watched my tach message board like a hawk whenever I felt a lockout. Furthermore, I eventually bought an aftermarket tune that eliminated skipshift. I still get the lockouts every now and then.

Sure, there are times I get lockout from my own fault, i.e. the synchros doing their job by not allowing me to go into gear because the RPM of the flywheel is too far different from the tranny input shaft, but the times I get a legitimate lockout problem are not from this kind of user error. I know if I am trying to upshift or downshift too far, and thus realize my mistake, but the legitimate lockouts, if you get them, you cannot ever miss them.

I never bothered to take my car in for the problem because they seemed to virtually disappear altogether once I got above 15K miles. I guess the tranny being fully broken in virtually solved the lockout issue I had.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by pdonket
I'd need to know more technical knowledge to come up with an actual solution, but if it were my company, I'd keep working to find a solution better than the TSBs out there so far. I'd go as far as replacing the transmissions of those effected entirely. Yes, expensive, but that's how I'd run the company.

Oh and I'd also have my transmissions made somewhere other than China where nearly every manufacturing process is messed up due to massive cost cutting and terrible government regulation.
I thought some people that did have the problems did have their tranny replaced?? Could be wrong.

Someone else mentioned a date of August 2010 and prior being recalled but don't some of these problems extend after that date?
Old 11-11-2011, 05:02 PM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

Well, the stock shifter in the 05 model was awful as well. Erik