Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting problem - still.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 08:12 AM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HxCGuitars
Apparently this was to address the "cold crunch" which I thought I had, but now just seems normal. There was a small run of transmissions that if it was under 40 degrees (literally seemed like that was the magic number), the first shift into 2nd or 3rd, depending on the problem synchro, would grind.

I had this done simply because I thought my trans felt rough, especially in the cold, but had no grinding. Regardless I got the dealership to perform it, and had no change afterwards in shift feel. I've never felt my trans was "smooth," but it's a Mustang.

I've been told the problem you're having is due to the remote mount design that our cars are set up with. Granted I've never had the problem, knock on wood. I'm not sure why. I've HEARD in 08 they started coming with different or reinforced k members, whether that's true or not I'm not sure. Which is weird, as you have an 08.

What surprises me the most, is that apparently you've done most of what fixes this problem.

Here, you'll find this video interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_y3imSOh7A
HOLY CRAP! That's exactly the problem I'm having and I have a HURST shifter.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:19 AM
slickman
5th Gear Member

I can't get clear if he had the CHE tq limiter in as well with the hurst or not.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:28 AM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

I had the same problem, luckly it was under warrenty. I took it in after the grinding kept getting worse around 35K on the car, they took it apart and told me the syncros were completly shot, they rebuilt it the first time. Thats right first time, the 2nd time i was at a gas station around 3K miles later, and put in reverse to back up to an open pump, the shifter came out of gear when i tried to go foward but the trans didnt, it was stuck in reverse, I had to get it towed to ford with less than 40K, they took it apart again and told me the shift rails were completly shot and bent, they didnt rebuild this one and i told them i dont want a rebuld anymore cause they couldnt do it the first time, they ordered me a new tranny, ill have to look up the part number later but it wasnt the same they took out, apartly there some bad ones out there i got form the service department, they just dont put out a recall on them since most people dont break them until after the warrenty. so I wouldnt mess around thinking its your sifter, after searching all over the wen and forums i found out that it was common for those syncros to go bad,
Old 07-08-2012, 08:29 AM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

oh and mine is an 08 same as yours, and the problem with the syncros seems to be more common in the 08 from what i found out
Old 07-08-2012, 08:31 AM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stephen1371
I had the same problem, luckly it was under warrenty. I took it in after the grinding kept getting worse around 35K on the car, they took it apart and told me the syncros were completly shot, they rebuilt it the first time. Thats right first time, the 2nd time i was at a gas station around 3K miles later, and put in reverse to back up to an open pump, the shifter came out of gear when i tried to go foward but the trans didnt, it was stuck in reverse, I had to get it towed to ford with less than 40K, they took it apart again and told me the shift rails were completly shot and bent, they didnt rebuild this one and i told them i dont want a rebuld anymore cause they couldnt do it the first time, they ordered me a new tranny, ill have to look up the part number later but it wasnt the same they took out, apartly there some bad ones out there i got form the service department, they just dont put out a recall on them since most people dont break them until after the warrenty. so I wouldnt mess around thinking its your sifter, after searching all over the wen and forums i found out that it was common for those syncros to go bad,
Thanks, thats been my feeling. Strange that it would only happen first to second shifts on anything over 5500 rpm. I would have thought that if the syncro's are going bad it would be at any RPM.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:35 AM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

I can tell you mine started off only at high RPM, and then over the next 1K miles it got worse and worse till one day i was having to skip 2nd all together, maybe yours inst the syncros, but that seems to be where most of your grinding takes place, the reason in that video i dont think the mgw grinds is how they build the bump stops for 2nd gear, they claim its safer on the transmission, but i would bet it the problem wasnt there and then started one day it would have to be your syncros starting to go out
Old 07-08-2012, 09:04 AM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stephen1371
I can tell you mine started off only at high RPM, and then over the next 1K miles it got worse and worse till one day i was having to skip 2nd all together, maybe yours inst the syncros, but that seems to be where most of your grinding takes place, the reason in that video i dont think the mgw grinds is how they build the bump stops for 2nd gear, they claim its safer on the transmission, but i would bet it the problem wasnt there and then started one day it would have to be your syncros starting to go out

When I first got the car I saw this from time to time with the stock shifter. I then installed the Hurst with the CHE brace and the problem went away. All of a sudden over this summer the problem came back. I have only put 3,000 miles on it so, it has not been driven allot. I also drive it allot harder then the orginal owner did.

Last edited by slickman; 07-08-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:50 AM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by slickman
I can't get clear if he had the CHE tq limiter in as well with the hurst or not.
After researching and finding some of his forum posts, I believe he installed the MGW and the che torque limiters at the same time.

Regarding these issues, I'm surprised it was the synchros going bad. I can imagine they would get worse if you kept creating the situation, but I wonder if they kept getting worse regardless or from the grinding. I've heard this is caused by the remote design and at high rpms the entire drivetrain just gets a little too out of alignment for our remote shifters. Why yours came back is definitely confusing me. Another thing I don't get is why someone WITH torque limiters would be having recurring issues and someone like me, stock, wouldn't.

There's definitely been horror stories with these transmissions. Well, really there's horror stories with any car with any transmission. But mine's never ground except when it was my fault. Luckily it's never been while I was beating on it, just relaxed driving. Knock on wood I've got a good trans, I don't know. It's definitely a notchy feeling trans and very inconsistent, but I've grown to know it as a Mustang transmission haha. I've told myself as long as I'm not grinding and popping out of gear I'm fine.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:05 AM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Yeah. At one point i did not have this problem after the CHE brace and poly motor mount install. It came back all on its own. I think seeing its only over 5500 rpm, ill just run it for now. Thinking about just getting a built one for $1300. To rebuild my 3650, parts for syncros and other stuff along with TSB upgrades come to like $800 - $900. The built one comes with all that.

Last edited by slickman; 07-08-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:38 AM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HxCGuitars
Another thing I don't get is why someone WITH torque limiters would be having recurring issues and someone like me, stock, wouldn't.

I'm not sure about your setup as to how much HP / TQ your making but remember, as these numbers go up this problem will come up. I'm at 505HP and 490 ft lbs tq at the rear wheels. Stock 300 HP setups will not see these issues as frequently.

Quick Reply: Shifting problem - still.