Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting problem - still.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 12:16 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by slickman
Yeah. At one point i did not have this problem after the CHE brace and poly motor mount install. It came back all on its own. I think seeing its only over 5500 rpm, ill just run it for now. Thinking about just getting a built one for $1300. To rebuild my 3650, parts for syncros and other stuff along with TSB upgrades come to like $800 - $900. The built one comes with all that.
Not sure if you are aware, but Tremec has introduced their Magnum XL 6 speed that is a direct bolt in for the S197's... Here's a link to their website...

I found an advertisement in the July edition of 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords for Hurst Driveline Conversions too.

Don
Old 07-08-2012, 01:08 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Default Update

Well, I just went and gave it a good run and did some testing. If I roll out and then just put it to the floor as soon as I go past 6,000 RPM and shift it will grind. Now, if I keep it under 6k its fine.

Next test, doing a hole shot breaking the tires loose (about a 4k hole shot and first gear is about 15 ft long burn out) and shift to second, no grind at all. I tried this a few times with the same results.

Now, if it was the syncros I don't think I would be able to do a hole shot like that. Its starting to make me think the Hurst (shifter) could be the issue, just a feeling.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:12 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Is the grinding at full throttle only or just any throttle over 5500?

I have the torque limiters and hurst shifter, but stock motor mounts. I tried the poly mounts, but didn't like all the engine feel. I've never had a grinding problem, but I rarely shift that high from 1st to 2nd, unless I have my drag radials on the car.

Every time I hear about shifting problems at high rpms, i automatically think about the clutch. Not sure why it would only be the 1-2 and not the 2-3.

You weren't power shifting at the track were you?
Old 07-08-2012, 01:15 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Well, I just went and gave it a good run and did some testing. If I roll out and then just put it to the floor as soon as I go past 6,000 RPM and shift it will grind. Now, if I keep it under 6k its fine.

Next test, doing a hole shot breaking the tires loose (about a 4k hole shot and first gear is about 15 ft long burn out) and shift to second, no grind at all. I tried this a few times with the same results.

Now, if it was the syncros I don't think I would be able to do a hole shot like that. Its starting to make me think the Hurst (shifter) could be the issue, just a feeling.
If your tires are spinning, then there's not nearly as much load on the transmission.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:18 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Is the grinding at full throttle only or just any throttle over 5500?

I have the torque limiters and hurst shifter, but stock motor mounts. I tried the poly mounts, but didn't like all the engine feel. I've never had a grinding problem, but I rarely shift that high from 1st to 2nd, unless I have my drag radials on the car.

Every time I hear about shifting problems at high rpms, i automatically think about the clutch. Not sure why it would only be the 1-2 and not the 2-3.

You weren't power shifting at the track were you?
Nope, the car has not seen the track yet and no power shifting at all. It ONLY happens 1st to 2nd. The poly mounts I don't mind, I do feel the engine more but I know its solid between the poly mounts and tq limiters. This last test I ran with the hole shot compaird to a rolling start make me think its the shifter. I could be wrong but I think if it was the syncros the hole shot would grind as well.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:23 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
If your tires are spinning, then there's not nearly as much load on the transmission.

That was my thinking, I wounder if the MGW shifter would solve this problem?
Old 07-08-2012, 07:56 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

I wouldn't say there's a guarantee that it would fix it, but if you're interested in the MGW and are considering it in the first place, it's worth a shot. My question is, though, what Hurst shifter do you have? Is it the the comp billet plus or whatever? I think that's the beefiest one right? If you have a lower model and still like the hurst, you could give that one a shot.

I know my MGW was very beefy and just felt like quality when you held it in your hands. Not trying to sell you completely on the MGW, but it is a great shifter

Edit: You know, your test does make sense. If it was the synchros, it would grind according to rpms, not load on the drivetrain (causing misalignment), at least I think. Maybe? I think I see your thought process for this and completely agree.

Last edited by HxCGuitars; 07-08-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:25 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HxCGuitars
I wouldn't say there's a guarantee that it would fix it, but if you're interested in the MGW and are considering it in the first place, it's worth a shot. My question is, though, what Hurst shifter do you have? Is it the the comp billet plus or whatever? I think that's the beefiest one right? If you have a lower model and still like the hurst, you could give that one a shot.

I know my MGW was very beefy and just felt like quality when you held it in your hands. Not trying to sell you completely on the MGW, but it is a great shifter

Edit: You know, your test does make sense. If it was the synchros, it would grind according to rpms, not load on the drivetrain (causing misalignment), at least I think. Maybe? I think I see your thought process for this and completely agree.

I have an extra shifter handle, the one that came with it from hurst is 6 1/4 long. The extra one I have is 8 1/4 long (30 % increase in through). I installed the long one and I'm going to run another test tomorrow. If the handle is longer in theory it will slow down my shift at the level at the tranny. I just want to see if timing / speed will affect it. If the long shift handle eliminates it or makes is reasonably better, that will tell me allot. That would mean a short throw shifter is not a good idea for our 3650's. And we should stick with the OEM geometry but built like the MGW.

Last edited by slickman; 07-08-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:38 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HxCGuitars

The shifter I have in there now is a Hurst Billet/Plus 2..
Old 07-09-2012, 01:14 AM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

I have an extra shifter handle, the one that came with it from hurst is 6 1/4 long. The extra one I have is 8 1/4 long (30 % increase in through). I installed the long one and I'm going to run another test tomorrow. If the handle is longer in theory it will slow down my shift at the level at the tranny. I just want to see if timing / speed will affect it. If the long shift handle eliminates it or makes is reasonably better, that will tell me allot. That would mean a short throw shifter is not a good idea for our 3650's. And we should stick with the OEM geometry but built like the MGW.
I still don't like the way that last part of my last post came out haha...

That would definitely be a good test. Something I like about the MGW is the ability to adjust the length of the throw. I have mine about as high as it can go for leverage, and I'm at about 4 turns out. Probably 25-30% shorter than stock. The difference for you, as you mentioned, is your power level, so I'm not sure how much the MGW would help.

Interested to see the results of your next test.

Quick Reply: Shifting problem - still.