Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

150K Miles - What Service I Do To Keep It Forever?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 04:42 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gary Ugarek
+1 on the Ari Gold gif.

If the OP had his plugs changed already, they probably are now one piece plugs. As I understand it, and correct me if I am wrong, Ford did away with the two piece design because of the separation of the plugs.
I am fairly certain that the motorcraft plugs are still two pieces... but not 100% sure.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:34 PM
Jasoon
2nd Gear Member

I'm a big believer in axle fluid / coolant changes.

However, please tell me you are not paying someone $100 to replace the fan belt.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:12 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Yeah $100 is way overpriced. Considering you can get the belt for about $30.00 and put it on yourself in 15 minutes.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:51 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Gary Ugarek
+1 on the Ari Gold gif.

If the OP had his plugs changed already, they probably are now one piece plugs. As I understand it, and correct me if I am wrong, Ford did away with the two piece design because of the separation of the plugs.
inaccurate.

You are referring to the head redesign that occurred on the 4.6L Mustangs with a build date of Oct/Nov 07+. The head redesign was to make use of a newer spark plug that was more traditional in style and is a one-piece.

You cannot use those plugs on older style heads. Different head, different thread design, different Coils too.

The only work around for the older style heads (Pre oct/nov 07) is either Champion or Brisk. They offer once piece plugs that work with the older style. Ford only offers the crap 2-piecers for Pre Oct/Nov 07 models.

Last edited by Derf00; 12-27-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:30 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
inaccurate.

You are referring to the head redesign that occurred on the 4.6L Mustangs with a build date of Oct/Nov 07+. The head redesign was to make use of a newer spark plug that was more traditional in style and is a one-piece.

You cannot use those plugs on older style heads. Different head, different thread design, different Coils too.

The only work around for the older style heads (Pre oct/nov 07) is either Champion or Brisk. They offer once piece plugs that work with the older style. Ford only offers the crap 2-piecers for Pre Oct/Nov 07 models.
OK, so it wasn't ford who did away with two piece design, but someone else did come up with a one piece design that works with those models. I was inaccurate in who provided the plus but was accurate a one piece design is available.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:15 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
inaccurate.

OK, so just for the hell of it, let me ask you this. If I was so inclined, is this redesigned head a bolt on replacement for a 4.6 on the 05-06 models? Because I plan on owning my car for a long time. Might do something crazy like an engine rebuild and if I'm doing that......

Last edited by JFitz; 12-27-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:40 PM
JoshyGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jasoon
I'm a big believer in axle fluid / coolant changes.

However, please tell me you are not paying someone $100 to replace the fan belt.
I can do a belt replacement myself pretty easily, in fact I just had it off to replace the alternator a few months ago. (Love the front facing v-8's!) However, I was in a position that prevented me from getting under the hood/car for at least another two months so I went ahead and paid the premium to have a few things done including this.

I know. It's terrible. lol
Old 12-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by JFitz
OK, so just for the hell of it, let me ask you this. If I was so inclined, is this redesigned head a bolt on replacement for a 4.6 on the 05-06 models? Because I plan on owning my car for a long time. Might do something crazy like an engine rebuild and if I'm doing that......
Yes, the new design head is a bolt on for all 05-10 4.6L mustangs but unless you are getting upgraded heads (port polished), it's not worth swapping the heads just for the Spark Plug update IMO.

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com...6050-n3vpa.htm

Plus, don't forget, you won't be able to use the new heads with your old COPS

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com...m-12029-3v.htm