Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snowstorm almost here

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 05:27 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ditty
Hell no!!! I did it last year ONCE and that was enough. They don't do snow preparedness here in MD like they do elsewhere. It was an hour and a half of white knuckle driving and trying to keep it straight to go 10 miles. Those Pirellis are TERRIBLE in snow.
Ditty is spot on. I lived in MD for 10 years, it rains and these people crash, trying to still do 90 in the rain. With snow, those with SUV's think they're driving a hummer.

I grew up a good portion of my life in Syracuse, NY, I know snow and how to drive in it, and ICE and sleet, and have done with RWD cars.

In 07/08 Winter we had an ice storm in MD, 3-5 inches of ice, slush and yuck, I lived 5 miles from home, and when I left work I kept it in 2nd the whole way, people flying by me sliding off into the median. I did help a cop get his car unstuck... before you scold me, he was my neighbor, it woul dhave been a dick thing to do since he lived 2 doors down and kows me and we looked right at each other.

that was the 2nd time I got to drive a cop car. =O)
Old 12-21-2012, 07:51 AM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

Nobody is going to recommend a Mustang for winter driving, but you have a chance by doing the following: Winter tires on dedicated rims, I have Dunlop Wintersports mounted on 5-spoke 18" stock wheels I got on eBay. BTW, go narrower (235) with winter tires for best results. Toss a 50lb bag of sand in the trunk as close to the tail lights as possible. Be sure to lay some wood re-enforcement over the spare tire cover to prevent damage. Lastly, use wifey's car as much as possible when it snows!

April will be here before ya know it...
Old 12-21-2012, 09:28 AM
markag

I live out here in central illinois too, but I learned how to drive in the snow in northern Indiana & Michigan. All I can say is that here in central illinois, an inch of snow will practically shut down the place and they don't know how to take care of it. We got 4 inches of snow one day last winter and I had stock Pirelli tires on that were down to about 3/32 of tread life still on the car. That was a scary couple of days of driving. I was terrified going to and from work, but I made it. It was also 6 days after I bought the car and I wasn't used to driving around a car with this much torque.

About a month ago, I bought a set of Nitto Motivo all season tires for my stock wheels. My drive to work this morning was wonderful (not being sarcastic). Some of the roads were ice covered with a tiny layer of snow. My car would have fought me on my old tires. I would have had a hard time moving from a stop. These new tires felt like I was practially driving on dry pavement. I was very pleasantly surprised about how good they felt. These tires grip just as well as the stock Pirelli's in the dry, but in the wet and now in the cold & light snow, they feel miles ahead of my old worn out Pirelli tires.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

To the OP...

Illinois is pretty darned flat which is probably the best thing you can have when rodes are slick. I spent many years in PA with significant hills and you have to realize that when folks in flat lands comment on how bad the Stang is in snow, then you have no idea how absurd it is to drive one in hill country in the winter.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SchneidyP4.6
The summer only tires are horrible in cold weather period(even without snow).
even when its barely cold too

below 70 degrees my pilot supersports offer very little traction
Old 12-21-2012, 01:10 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

It's not you, you have to worry about, it's about all of the other tards on the road. I would hate to drive the stang in snowy/icy weather just because there is always the variable you can't control. Other drivers and their sledding cars....
Old 12-21-2012, 01:19 PM
markag

Originally Posted by Derf00
It's not you, you have to worry about, it's about all of the other tards on the road. I would hate to drive the stang in snowy/icy weather just because there is always the variable you can't control. Other drivers and their sledding cars....
I agree 100%

I have almost been rear ended in my mustang at least 3 times, and that was in good weather during the summer. Winter scares me. I know I can drive in the snow, but the other people terrify me.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:39 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I drove the Saleen on the Nero Zero summer tires for a winter. Wasn't terrible, but wasn't confidence inspiring either. I gave myself plenty of room, and took corners slower than most hybrids.