Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a 2005 Mustang for $600

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 05:04 PM
JimC

There really is no need for 3 threads about this. Merged all into one.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:23 PM
PaulHend

Yes, I am UPDATING YOU. About 1/2 the post (I just re-read the entire thread) where of people asking the same questions I already responded to.

I think there may be a warped head.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:51 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Find a shop that is reputable and get quotes to either rebuild and replace the V6.

Or replace it with a V8. If you're looking for resale, I would do V6 and keep the receipts. Then you can show it to the owner and say, "Look. The engine was (rebuilt or replaced) by this shop and is now in perfect condition."

Only reason I suggest a shop, rather than you do the work, is this: It sounds better to say a mechanic did the work.

I would never buy a V6 (heh) Mustang that has a rebuilt engine in it off Craigslist that "some guy" did himself. No offense to you or your capability. I just wouldn't do it.

If it's a good deal with a nice car and receipts from a shop I can talk to and walk through, maybe.

Tack on some body work and you're done.

Last edited by JFitz; 03-09-2013 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Words
Old 03-09-2013, 06:44 PM
JimC

With what you described - the overheating and then she added coolant to the oil and continued driving it - warped head is very likely, along with other engine problems.

The 4.0 is cheap and plentiful. Don't try to rebuild this one. Just buy another one and swap it over. You can pick up a 4.0 for $600. You can't rebuild one for that price, and the heads are very tricky to work on with the 4.0. With the price you picked this up for to begin with you won't have much at all into the car with the swap.

And for the doubters, this is pretty typical in a mechanics lien situation. The tow truck operator has a mechanics lien for the car and the steps are pretty easy to get title and sell the vehicle to another person.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:20 AM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PaulHend
Yes, I am UPDATING YOU. About 1/2 the post (I just re-read the entire thread) where of people asking the same questions I already responded to.

I think there may be a warped head.
Have it checked by a shop. If the head is warped and coolant has been going into one of the cylinders, then it probably will be cheaper to replace the engine.

At $600 it's still a great buy.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:48 AM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
With what you described - the overheating and then she added coolant to the oil and continued driving it - warped head is very likely, along with other engine problems.

The 4.0 is cheap and plentiful. Don't try to rebuild this one. Just buy another one and swap it over. You can pick up a 4.0 for $600. You can't rebuild one for that price, and the heads are very tricky to work on with the 4.0. With the price you picked this up for to begin with you won't have much at all into the car with the swap.

And for the doubters, this is pretty typical in a mechanics lien situation. The tow truck operator has a mechanics lien for the car and the steps are pretty easy to get title and sell the vehicle to another person.
You are right about the mechanics lien. Common enough. Here in Alaska and numerous others, if you go thru that, you have to have a "Rebuilder's Title" for any vehicle that is impounded and retitled. Doesn't matter if it is perfect, since the original title isn't available, nothing can be verified, so it get's the "rebuilder's title". I don't know about Colorado, but it is becoming more and more common place.

Colorado update....rebuilders title until all items are made right. Then a regular title can be obtained. (link) http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite.../1221475087616

Salvage title......http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite.../1186648383344

What kind of title did they give you?

Last edited by akdoggie; 03-10-2013 at 05:55 AM.