Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Mustang Headlight and HID Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 01:38 PM
mustang6512

Default 2012 Mustang Headlight and HID Upgrade

I was just wondering if anybody could help me with this please. (this is my first post on any forum website so please go easy on me) I am wanting to upgrade from my stock reflector headlights to Raxiom Black Projector headlights.
(https://www.americanmuscle.com/headl...1012-stan.html yes I do have stock halogens) What I was wanting to do is to remove the old stinky halogen bulbs and put in new HID lights. I understand that I need to get a conversion kit but I just want to make sure that I can do this conversion with these new headlights. Can I do the conversion with these headlights or do I need to get Raxiom headlights that fit HIDs and not the halogens?
Old 12-26-2018, 03:43 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Old stinky halogens, you can actually smell them?

Originally Posted by mustang6512
I was just wondering if anybody could help me with this please. (this is my first post on any forum website so please go easy on me) I am wanting to upgrade from my stock reflector headlights to Raxiom Black Projector headlights.
(https://www.americanmuscle.com/headl...1012-stan.html yes I do have stock halogens) What I was wanting to do is to remove the old stinky halogen bulbs and put in new HID lights. I understand that I need to get a conversion kit but I just want to make sure that I can do this conversion with these new headlights. Can I do the conversion with these headlights or do I need to get Raxiom headlights that fit HIDs and not the halogens?
The link you provided is the kit for using Halogen Bulbs with projector housings. You have one
bulb with two filaments in it. One for lo-beam, and one for hi-beam. HID kits for this style of bulb
is different. You do not have two HID elements, and you can't dim or brighten HID bulbs for a HI-LO
effect.

The HID kit versions needs more wiring and modification. The lo-beam filaments are turned
off when using the hi-beams, with the Halogen bulbs. The HID is completely different. The Lo-beam
is a partially shielded (covered) HID bulb for lo-beam. When you switch to hi-beam, the bulb is pulled
backward or dipped down from the shield, to allow more light. So, it has to be wired so the HIDs do
not shut off, or shut off and turn back on when you switch to hi-beams. SO, the low beam power
must stay on when switching to hi-beam, so the bulb can be pulled backward or dipped down to reveal
more light with the hi-beam power trigger.

It can be done though, just a little more work...