Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 10:56 PM
promustanperformance
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: throttle body

Hi swieduwi,

I think that's great! You made 2-3HP on a modified car with a computer who's programming is so fickle that it's made aftermarket companies work much harder to make parts that will work with it. In fact, as we all know, pretty much no matter what you do to your car, you need to retune it, right? Cold air intake? Retune. Charge motion plates? Retune. The fact is, most aftermarket parts right now, without a tune, will do very little for you, and in some cases, will cause you to lose power. I'd like to note that Diablosport makes a tune SPECIFICALLY for Steeda CAI and charge motion plates. It goes without saying that changing anything else is going to change how the computer reacts to the tune. Tuning the 05+ mustangs could become difficult with all of the new parts and part combinations. Soon it may be necessary for the average joe to read up on how these cars really work so they can program them themselves. For now, I'd search around for people who have successful combinations and see real gains, or push the chip tuners to come out with more tunes. I'm sure they've thought of that though, and they'll likely be charging a fee to download new tunes, etc. We'll see. For now, the book is still open.
ORIGINAL: swieduwi

ORIGINAL: promustanperformance

Hi,

You don't like the throttle body idea huh? The stock 03 cobra throttle body was 57mm, and most owners upgraded to either a 60 or 65mm part like the one from BBK. After upgrading to the 65mm BBK, most Cobra owners boast 20-30 rear wheel HP gains. If the stock dual 57mm Cobra throttle body could be upgraded to a 65 and produce such results, you would expect that upgrading the 05 GT throttle body would do similar. I mean it's not uncommon knowledge that a 65mm throttle body will support more horsepower than most people will ever have, but 70mm has become the standard. Regardless, the results are in, the 62mm throttle body finishes with 8 more HP and 8 more ft/lbs of torque.
The advertised HP gains a false I gained no more than 2 or 3 hp (My tuner states this is within the margin of error). the only gains are in throttle response I have a SCt xCal Dyno Tune and a K&N CAI. I feel that the minimal gains are not worth the steep price of $549.00. IMHO I think the cost should be closer to $150.00, anything over is a complete waste of money, I paid $350.00 for mine and i feel I got ripped off. So for you guys trying to get over 500 bucks, your crooks.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:27 PM
TexaStang
I ♥ Acer

Off road H-pipe from brenspeed, 8-9hp, 10tq proven on a dyno with no retuning needed, 170 bucks or so.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:11 AM
promustanperformance
2nd Gear Member

Good point, but it avoids the fact that these parts seem to work better WITH tune. Notwithstanding, it seems exhaust products are less prone to causing issues with the fickle Spanish Oak programming.

On another note, why do you think it is that BBK hasn't popped out a throttle body for the 05 yet? We all know they have one in the makings. You'd think that such a large company as BBK would be on top of things and have produced one sooner than anyone else. Wrong. BBK puts extensive research in to the production of their products and making sure they work up to the BBK standard. Not to say that the current 05 throttle bodies are no good, but simply that making successful aftermarket parts isn't easy, especially when you need to deal with bi-polar computer systems like the one implemented in the 05 mustangs.

Has anyone taken a completely stock 05 and installed a throttle body? Dyno results? Any aspiring "tuning" engineers among us?
ORIGINAL: TexaStang

Off road H-pipe from brenspeed, 8-9hp, 10tq proven on a dyno with no retuning needed, 170 bucks or so.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:43 AM
TexaStang
I ♥ Acer

Bamachips -- http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....=throttle+body
Old 11-30-2005, 12:55 AM
andyman
4th Gear Member

Hi,

You don't like the throttle body idea huh? The stock 03 cobra throttle body was 57mm, and most owners upgraded to either a 60 or 65mm part like the one from BBK. After upgrading to the 65mm BBK, most Cobra owners boast 20-30 rear wheel HP gains. If the stock dual 57mm Cobra throttle body could be upgraded to a 65 and produce such results, you would expect that upgrading the 05 GT throttle body would do similar. I mean it's not uncommon knowledge that a 65mm throttle body will support more horsepower than most people will ever have, but 70mm has become the standard. Regardless, the results are in, the 62mm throttle body finishes with 8 more HP and 8 more ft/lbs of torque.
um hello those cobras are supercharged so what else did you expect from them??
Old 11-30-2005, 01:16 AM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

I agree with TexaStang. A 281 cubic inch motor simply isn't big enough to use a larger throttle body. It's just plain physics. Do the math and include volumetric efficiency, displacment ect and you will see that a 281 just can't use more airflow. At least if it's naturally aspirated. A super sharger or turbo would change that however.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:38 AM
swieduwi
2nd Gear Member

Hi swieduwi,

I think that's great! You made 2-3HP on a modified car with a computer who's programming is so fickle that it's made aftermarket companies work much harder to make parts that will work with it. In fact, as we all know, pretty much no matter what you do to your car, you need to retune it, right? Cold air intake? Retune. Charge motion plates? Retune. The fact is, most aftermarket parts right now, without a tune, will do very little for you, and in some cases, will cause you to lose power. I'd like to note that Diablosport makes a tune SPECIFICALLY for Steeda CAI and charge motion plates. It goes without saying that changing anything else is going to change how the computer reacts to the tune. Tuning the 05+ mustangs could become difficult with all of the new parts and part combinations. Soon it may be necessary for the average joe to read up on how these cars really work so they can program them themselves. For now, I'd search around for people who have successful combinations and see real gains, or push the chip tuners to come out with more tunes. I'm sure they've thought of that though, and they'll likely be charging a fee to download new tunes, etc. We'll see. For now, the book is still open.
Yea, It would be great if the 2-3 hp gains were from the TB, but the fact is that the previous dyno results were taken in august when it was 85*, when I dynoed with the TB replaced it was October and 50* outside, so environmentals can change the results, I could have lost power by replacing the TB???
Old 11-30-2005, 04:04 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: 281GT

I agree with TexaStang. A 281 cubic inch motor simply isn't big enough to use a larger throttle body. It's just plain physics. Do the math and include volumetric efficiency, displacment ect and you will see that a 281 just can't use more airflow. At least if it's naturally aspirated. A super sharger or turbo would change that however.
Agreed. Comparing a N/A 3 valve to a S/C 4 Valve is not even remotely accurate.

If you are N/A, you do not need a larger throttle body. It would be a complete waste of time and money........of course, if you already have every other bolt-on available, then you might want to buy an aftermarket throttle body that flows a little better than stock (which is where you would find your extra 1 or 2 HP) but you still don't need a bigger one.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:11 PM
blackhorse05
I ♥ Acer

well the bbk is only 2 or 3 hundred but dont qoute me, and ive decided not to get the rthrottle body becuase after research its just not worth it
Old 12-01-2005, 12:31 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

i agree, that is half af a zex n2o kit....125+hp!!!! vs. 2-3hp (possibly)

Quick Reply: throttle body