Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

:( got pulled over by the (wo)man AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 05:19 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

I'm sure TX has something similar written in their laws, but here is the kicker for us left coast hippies in OR:

for tail lights: When lighted, taillights shall emit a light plainly visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear.

for brake lights: Brake lights shall emit a light that is plainly visible and capable of being seen and distinguished from a distance of 500 feet to the rear of the vehicle in normal daylight

Thats taken directly from our ORS's. With most of the covers or tint, it is pretty easy to get stopped cuz 500 ft. is a long ways in the daytime.

Either way Shane, it looks like they have decided you dont need them, and cops talk. If two of them have pulled you over for it, I guarantee that quite a few of the guys/gals they work with have heard about your car.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:23 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluovalguy
I'm sure TX has something similar written in their laws, but here is the kicker for us left coast hippies in OR:

for tail lights: When lighted, taillights shall emit a light plainly visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear.

for brake lights: Brake lights shall emit a light that is plainly visible and capable of being seen and distinguished from a distance of 500 feet to the rear of the vehicle in normal daylight

Thats taken directly from our ORS's. With most of the covers or tint, it is pretty easy to get stopped cuz 500 ft. is a long ways in the daytime.

Either way Shane, it looks like they have decided you dont need them, and cops talk. If two of them have pulled you over for it, I guarantee that quite a few of the guys/gals they work with have heard about your car.

yeah i knew they would be looking for me from now on. she took digital pics of the car on the side of the road to use as an "example" to show the guy that does the rules and enforcement
Old 01-29-2011, 05:25 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
yeah i knew they would be looking for me from now on. she took digital pics of the car on the side of the road to use as an "example" to show the guy that does the rules and enforcement
The "guy" she is referring to is everyone at the dept.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:34 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluovalguy
The "guy" she is referring to is everyone at the dept.
she did me wrong too with the pics, she didn't want me to hit the brakes. they look much darker just sitting in the daylight than they actually are when the lights are on and you can clearly see red through them. I ordered some of the honeycomb vinyl from Stangmods, shall see how that looks. i would like to find some black bezels, but there are only chrome for 10-11 cars. i could paint it but they are $100 a set and i hate to frack them up or not like them.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:42 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

She probably didnt want you to hit the brakes cuz there are two different standards it has to meet, just tail lights and then brake lights.

Chances are she knew when the brakes are on, it meets what ever standard TX has, but your lights are either close enough for probable cause or fails with just the taillights lit or off.

Dont know why no one makes the black trim for 10+. The black looks far better than chrome.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:50 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
cr346 actually, both times i was poulled over that was where it happened. its the road to the elemetary school where my kids go so i cant avoid it really. they patrol that whole area up until whitehouse. i didn't know you were local, we have a local stang club and we do quite a bit of stuff. pm me if you are interested in doing soem of our activities. we do lots of shows during show season and monthly get togethers to eat and hang out.
I have to apologize for leading you on , I am not from Tyler. I just know the highways due to my job and also with working with various people of various law enforcement agencies/departments.

I am really from Central Texas, and due to the nature of my job, I tend to gravitate along I-35, from San Antonio to Hillsboro (about 45 miles south of Dallas.

But if I ever head your way, I would have no problems at all getting to Tyler, I have much of the major highways memorized. I would love to see how you East Texas 'Stang fans hang out!

It's been years since I have been in East Texas, 10 years really. I used to go to Marshall, and even Texarkana when I was in the Army, I used to come though Tyler to hit I-20 by way of 271. Plus I knew a girl from Longview, so getting to Tyler by way of Waco through Athens was a cinch for me.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:01 PM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z..._/DSC_0232.jpg

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...DSC_0230-1.jpg

Last edited by Lil_Chef; 01-29-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:40 PM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

just moving it to the top to verify shane sees the pics
Old 01-31-2011, 09:05 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

looks good, mine shipped today