Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

For those who added fogs to their V6...need wiring instructions

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 02:02 PM
1BAD02RT

Default For those who added fogs to their V6...need wiring instructions

I replaced my front bumper and grille with a GT w/ fogs and need some help wiring them. I made a harness, using a bosch generic relay. I bough an OEM headlight switch with fogs and can find which wire triggers the fog lamps to turn on the fogs. If anyone who bought the kit could either send the instructions to me or tell me how it's wired, it would be very helpful!

I used this wiring guide from another mustang forum:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...m-foglites.jpg

I just need to know where you guys are getting the "trigger" lead from the switch harness! Checked the wires w/ the voltmeter and couldn't find 12v power when fog switch is pulled, from any of the wires....
Old 02-28-2011, 07:47 PM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

The instructions from v6mustangstuff, the site that sells the wiring kits, calls for tapping into 2 wires behind the switch. Worked for me. The don't really go in to details telling you what each one does. They just have two wires from their harness and they show you where to splice. I don't have the instructions on hand so I had to pull my switch and take a picture for you. I only did this because you're from Michigan and we look out for one another. LOL

This is my picture. I struggle in low light making out colors. The one on the left looked brown. The picture looks like it has a yellow stripe. Shouldn't be difficult though as there aren't any other colors like this on the harness. The wire on the left is grey with a purple stripe. The grey one is directly above the brown. They are the 2 terminals furthest towards the drivers door when it's plugged in.

Good luck.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:29 PM
1BAD02RT

Another member gave me the exact info as you, but I need more! A typical fog lamp setup uses only one wire to get the signal to trigger a relay to turn the fogs on. Is there ANY way you can get more detailed pics for me, as far as which colors tie into the relay, and which wires go to where? This may require removing some electrical tape.....would really like to get this figured out soon. Of course Stuckey Products won't help me out because they want me to drop the dough and buy their harness!!!

My fogs are wired just as described above, except I'm trying to tie it into the stock headlight/fog lamp switch......
Old 03-01-2011, 09:49 PM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1BAD02RT
Another member gave me the exact info as you, but I need more! A typical fog lamp setup uses only one wire to get the signal to trigger a relay to turn the fogs on. Is there ANY way you can get more detailed pics for me, as far as which colors tie into the relay, and which wires go to where? This may require removing some electrical tape.....would really like to get this figured out soon. Of course Stuckey Products won't help me out because they want me to drop the dough and buy their harness!!!

My fogs are wired just as described above, except I'm trying to tie it into the stock headlight/fog lamp switch......
Sorry. Can't help further. The wires on the harness are well covered with the plastic conduit covering and tape and they're all tucked away. I don't have the time to dig through it take pictures upload them and explain them. I realize you want to save money but I just don't have that much time to throw at figuring it out for you.

Oh. One thing that might help. Both the Roush and the V6MustangStuff harness include 2 relays. Your diagram only has one. I don't think this solution is the same as what you're putting together.

Last edited by wrxified; 03-01-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:38 PM
v6motorheadftop
2nd Gear Member

a more simple solution would be to hook them up with a toggle switch. If I ever plan on swapping out the front, I am going to put a toggle switch under the headlight switch, so that all I have to do is hit the switch and the fogs will be powered. This way the lights will be on a separate harness for themselves.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:51 PM
1BAD02RT

I had a toggle switch hooked up and I was using the parking lamp as the signal lead so they could come and off only when the parking lamps are on. I bought a factory switch because I wanted the factory appearance. IMO a toggle is kinda cheap looking, why not use the stock switch when it's available, right?

Someone out there has got to know the correct way to wire fogs using the factory fogs switch.....