Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Water gets behind trunk key badge

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 06:32 PM
jim01028
2nd Gear Member

Default Water gets behind trunk key badge

When I open the trunk after a hard rain, water leaks out from behind the key cover, runs along the top and drips into the trunk. Sometimes it is a lot, almost a quarter cup. How does that cover come off, all I see from inside is two bolts that hold the lock assembly in place. I guess that the rubber gasket is not sealing properly. Of course this started after the car was out of the warranty period. It can't be good to have water getting in there.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:54 AM
gmchx4

my guess is that the badge is just adhesived to the lid like every other emblem on the car. Never done this for the trunk badge but I removed my dealership emblem with a hair dryer, silicone caulk putty tool and acetone. If you manage to get it off, re-adhere it with a good quality silicone sealant/adhesive. I use a 5200 grade on my boat, unbeleivable strength and makes the part water tight. acetone can be found at most auto stores, but in a pinch nail polish remover should do the trick (I used acetone to clean the paint where the emblem was before I waxed over the area) If you use acetone/mail polish remover DONT get it on anything plastic, painted or unfinished, and be sure to wax the area afterwards

If your badge has any wiggle/play to it maybe try and put a silicone sealant around the edges with a tooth-pick or something, might save you the trouble of removing it completely and having to re-attach it

just some thoughts, good luck ...
Old 07-10-2009, 08:19 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Its normal and Ford designed it that way.
Its not bad. Thats what the drain is for in the
bottom of the trunk lid under the lock assembly...
All the metal back there is pprimed and painted...
Old 07-14-2009, 10:19 AM
O'Connor
2nd Gear Member

Not exactly sure why they designed it that way... if you have anything in your trunk and you open it then the water pours into the trunk on top of everything... the water goes out of the badge and then follows the contour of the trunk lid and goes to one side or the other depending on the slant of the car when you are parked... the only fixes that I have found for it are to take it off and reattach it (just take your time and make sure it's sealed properly) or to take it off completely and get a CDC Decklid Trim panel that deletes the badge completely... I'm going to go with the latter of the two options on mine
Old 07-15-2009, 07:34 AM
jim01028
2nd Gear Member

Okay, thanks for all the input guys. I can see several good options, but for the moment I did the quick and easy method. I put a very thin bead of sealant around the entire badge and cleaned up the excess with bug and tar remover. After seeing the drain hole at the bottom of the trunk lid, I'm surprised all the water doesn't drain right out. Also the small light bulb in the trunk gets Damn hot!!
Old 07-15-2009, 10:48 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by O'Connor
or to take it off completely and get a CDC Decklid Trim panel that deletes the badge completely... I'm going to go with the latter of the two options on mine
I have the CDC panel and it does not delete the key hole.
Attached Thumbnails Water gets behind trunk key badge-pvmtetr.jpg  
Old 07-17-2009, 05:36 PM
O'Connor
2nd Gear Member

I said it deletes the badge... which is what the water gets trapped behind... I didn't say it deletes the key hole