Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Shifting gear noise?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Bryan80

Default Shifting gear noise?

Hi everyone, I’m new to the forums and to owning a mustang. I am also very green when it comes to mechanical things on cars. Last month I purchased a 2009 V6 Mustang with a manual transmission. It has 4700 miles on it.

I have been hearing some noise coming from below the shifter while shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. It happens right when I press in the clutch, it’s not a constant noise. This noise happens even before I move down into 2nd gear. It sounds like the gears are clicking together. It’s not extremely loud, but it’s audible enough that it’s noticeable.

I’ve taken it to three different ford service centers and each one has told me something different, from it being a hydraulic clutch, ceramic clutch, and something to do with the 4th gear, odd being that it's only from 1st to 2nd. But all have said it is normal and every mustang does it.

I've had no issues with shifting, everything seems to work smoothly except for the noise.

I have 7 days left on my clutch warranty.

I know it's hard to diagnose without hearing but does anyone else have this noise?
Old 07-20-2009, 01:16 PM
gmchx4

i had a similar problem, shifting from 1st to 2nd is my least smooth shift because it feels really 'clunky' compared to other shifts. the noise i get is sort of a clunk and faint grind noise. i orignally thought it was because the car was new and needed breaking in, then i thought it was low on tansmission oil. since the noise and clunky feel were hit-and-miss, i ignored it and got used to it. IMO, it almost felt like the gears were grinding together trying to mesh, but it was such a quick hang-up when i went to make the shift, and the noise wasn't very loud, so it didnt reeally bother me after awhile.

i filled the tranny with synthetic at 36,000 (6,000 ago) and havn't noticed it yet (knock on wood). i cant say that the synthetic swap is what did it for mine or not, but it certainly made things better.

if its just noise, remember that there is pretty much nothing but a thin rubber seal that filters out the noise beneath the car from the cabin. So, it may just be normal mechanical noise from the tranny that you hear since there is practically zero noise insulation in the consol (noteably the shifter area where the aforementioned rubber seal is it)
Old 07-22-2009, 10:12 AM
Bryan80

Thanks for the response, gmchx4. I'm glad to know this isn't unique to my mustang. I might give the synthetic a try later down the road when needed. I can live with the noise as long as it won't cause any future problems.