Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Popping Noise when I step on the Brake

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 10:54 AM
SLVRSTNG06
2nd Gear Member

Have it too just started about 6 months ago, sounds like its coming from the passenger front wheel well, my front suspension has never been touched other than to change brake pads and rotors...
Old 11-02-2013, 02:09 PM
06Driver

I've looked at the sway bar and vertical control arms and all appears OK. Since I've done more online research and found two TSBs that may be the cause but I talked with a Ford dealer technician today and he said he can diagnose next week. The TSBs both describe similar sounding issues (creaking, chuckle, noise when breaking or bumps in the road) so not sure which may be the right fix. The TSBs are 07-18-2 (Strut mount defect) and 09-24-16 (Lower control arm (LCA) bushing defect) - each or both could be the problem, or maybe something else I suppose. Assuming the Ford price will be crazy high, I'll likely do the work myself once I know for sure what the problem is. The strut "fix" takes $200 in parts (for left and right side) and LCA part prices range from $200/pair (Dorman OEM spec) to $400 (Ford Racing spec). The LCA apparently also requires new fasteners when makng the replacement but it doesn't seem those selling the LCAs are including the new fasteners...so I guess I have to get the new bolts, etc from the dealership...anyone replace LCAs before and did you change out the fasteners or reuse old? Since my '06 is out of warranty these "defects" will be my responsibility to pay. I have read where those still with warranty have had these items covered. I'll update late next week as to the diagonsis and steps taken...and hopefully the issue gets resolved.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:36 PM
flyhigh@mach1
2nd Gear Member

Update...I installed new adjustable UMI Performance sway bar end links, and while it did quiet down general front end noise, it did not solve my brake pop noise. I think my rebuilt calipers have just enough ware on them from the previous life they had that my brake pads move around when switching directions. I plan on just living with it. After replacing Struts, strut mount plate, tie rod ends, and now end links, my front end is quiet and feeling solid!