4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Window scratches

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 07:30 PM
vetsac

Default RE: Window scratches

ORIGINAL: n/a_threat

I got that same problem happening to my windows too. Mainly the driver's inside because I use that one more. The mention of the mechanism resting against the door sounds logical. I think it is like that on most cars though....
Yeah, I'd imagine that same glass-support design is on most cars as well. My first car was a '92 Hyundai Excel (I know, yuck!! but it was my college car...) and I had those windows tinted for 8 years and never had a problem. Then my Camaro was tinted the full six years I owned it, and it only started scratching the last year as I mentioned. Sure hope there's some kind of worthy fix, whether it's a felt strip, or maybe trying to tweak back that support arm slightly so it's not resting as tight against the glass... So far I've been google-ing around and haven't yet found anything. If I do I'll be sure to post it here.

I wonder if tint-job places have their own "fixes" for specific cars like this?

-Dan
Old 03-24-2006, 12:42 PM
GTnAZ
2nd Gear Member

here is what i am looking for... glass polish....

Special polish for removing fine scratches and deep grime in glass.
Enhances wiper blade performance when used on windshields.
Excellent for use by hand or machine.

A polish designed specifically for the density of glass. Your windshield is constantly bombarded by environmental elements and requires as much attention as your car's paintwork. Glas Polish restore the surface to its original smooth condition by effortlessly removing embedded dirt, adhesive residue, wax, grease, oil and smog film, paint and putty residues without streaks or glare. The results will allow for a clearer view and allow your windshield wipers to clean more effectively.

I think i might try this over regular car wax.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:10 PM
vetsac

ORIGINAL: GTnAZ

here is what i am looking for... glass polish....

Special polish for removing fine scratches and deep grime in glass.
Enhances wiper blade performance when used on windshields.
Excellent for use by hand or machine.

A polish designed specifically for the density of glass. Your windshield is constantly bombarded by environmental elements and requires as much attention as your car's paintwork. Glas Polish restore the surface to its original smooth condition by effortlessly removing embedded dirt, adhesive residue, wax, grease, oil and smog film, paint and putty residues without streaks or glare. The results will allow for a clearer view and allow your windshield wipers to clean more effectively.
Sounds like a good item to try... the only thing I'd add is that, if you're trying to solve the scratched tint problem that I was mentioning, be aware that it's the tint film itself that gets scratched (not the glass) from this arm piece of hardware inside the door that presses against the window. But for other types of scratches, this might be good to try!

3/27/06 Edit: Spoke to a tint place just now -- they say it's the hard plastic weather seal itself that runs the length of the door at its top that will cause the scratches (not the piece of hardware inside the door, as how my dealer explained it to me) into the tint... I guess that makes more sense with what you all were explaining earlier...

So anyone else get a reliable fix for the wx stripping problem? This tint guy I spoke to said most cars will have a soft rubber seal that rests up against the window, as opposed to Ford which put this hard plastic in the door to act as the seal to the glass, which apparently is the cause of the tint scratching... :/

Old 03-27-2006, 05:22 PM
vetsac

ORIGINAL: amystery2u

I just left the tint shop. Today they retinted my drivers and passenger side windows under warranty. They say it's going to keep getting scratched unless the seal is changed. So, I have an appointment with the dealer on Friday so they can look at the seal.

Funy thing is, he also suggested using car wax on the windows to keep the friction down and help prevent scratches.
I'm interested to know what your results are from your appointment at your tint place who said they'd look at your seal that they say is the cause of your scratches... Any results? Did they do anything to your seal to fix the problem (like a felt strip or something)? I've been calling around to tint shops and so far haven't found a solution yet for my '06 Stang.

-Dan
Old 03-27-2006, 05:32 PM
vetsac

ORIGINAL: amystery2u

I just left the tint shop. Today they retinted my drivers and passenger side windows under warranty. They say it's going to keep getting scratched unless the seal is changed. So, I have an appointment with the dealer on Friday so they can look at the seal.

Funy thing is, he also suggested using car wax on the windows to keep the friction down and help prevent scratches.
Ok... I just talked to another tint shop who said they have heard about similar tint scratching problems in the Mustang. According to him, the scratches come from that hard piece of plastic that Ford uses as weather stripping along the top edge of the door (where the window comes out of).... This is quite different than what I posted earlier re: what my dealer accessory guy told me. Anyway, so it seems that the entire length of the tint film gets scratched up (not a small vertical column from that mechanical device inside the door, as I understood it). That seems to make more sense to me.

So is this the kind of scratching you're seeing in your tint -- scratching in your tint from this seal that runs horizontally along the top of the door? This tint guy said he could fix it by putting a line of felt along the inside of that seal, so that the felt -- instead of the hard plastic -- rubs up against the tint film on the inside of the glass.

Now I'm really interested to hear about your results with your seal...

-Dan
Old 03-27-2006, 05:39 PM
Flyingmau5
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StickShifty

ORIGINAL: roaddog

I do not know if it will work on Glass but...Shaving cream will get out or cover up most scratches in plastic .
also if you put shaving cream on your bathroom mirrors, let it sit for a few minutes, then wipe it off. the mirrors wont fog up as much.
lol u really have too much time on ur hands =P
Old 04-09-2006, 05:24 PM
vetsac

Well for what it's worth... I finally found a tint place in town that knows what they're doing when it comes to the Mustang window tint problem. He knew exactly what the problem was -- the hard rubber weather strip that runs the horizontal length of the door, which presses up against the windows, is what eventually scratches the glass (even if no tint film is applied!). Eventually small dust particles get inside the door frame over time, and as the glass rolls up and down, those particles get stuck in between the hard rubber seal and the glass, and whamo! You have scratches on your glass and/or tint film.

So they applied a line of felt onto that rubber seal, so now the felt presses against the tint/glass (they do have to remove your door panels to install the felt). The place I found guarantees their work for life, and they did an excellent job at applying the film, using high quality product (I rattled off a buncha questions about how they apply the tint and what they use, etc., before deciding to let them do the job!).

Seems to me Ford should have put this into the car themselves! Looks like they're just trying to save $10 on every Mustang built! Bastards... [:@]

Hope this description helps someone out! If you live in the Phoenix area, contact me if you want the name of the tint place that did my 06 Mustang.

-Dan