4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I got a few questions about some mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 06:43 PM
02GT_BLACK

Default I got a few questions about some mods

ok so i have bullitt rims now but im not sure what size they are. probably 17,8. anyway im looking at the black bullitts and wanted to know if the 17,9 or 18,9 size will affect my performance or anything else. i know i will need bigger tires but if theres anything else i need to know then please tell me. also i am looking at cai. are bbk or jlt good brands. also which shifter is better, steeda tri ax or pro 5-0 or does it really even matter. and do long tubes not let you pass inspection. i have flowmaster 40 series now if that even has anything to do with it. and i have the reg stock h-pipe. is getting a different aftermarket h-pipe or xpipe make a difference. my biggest concern is getting theese things and not being abale to pass inspection. thats all for now. any input will be very apreciated.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:51 PM
Emanpimpster
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: I got a few questions about some mods

As for the rims and tires i guess you'll get a little more rubber to the ground which would be good. For the cai there is really no incredible gains to be had as factory flows pretty good. I think your best bet is to look at the cai's and see which one you would rather see when you pop your hood. Long tubes are great for power but im almost positive that emissions will have your *** unless you get cats. Youd need a short x or h pipe and either would definitely help performance. Alot of exhaust mods and getting rid of your cats will make inspections hard to pass. Sorry i dont have much info on emissions floridas pretty leniant.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:57 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

Default RE: I got a few questions about some mods

Wider tires will hook better and handle better. For an intake, the general rule of thumb is you get what you pay for. Some people say it gives such little performance, just get a K&N filter and others say it makes a world of a difference. I, myself, have the K&N FIPK Gen II intake and I'm happy with it (just a pain trying to put the IAT sensor in there!) BBK is a great company. They make good quality products for a reasonable price, which for our motors is a rarity. I don't have experiance with JLT. I use the Steeda Tri-Ax shifter and you will see on this forum the norm is having a Tri-Ax or an MGW shifter. Those are hands down the best shifters. Getting an aftermarket mid pipe makes a huge difference in sound. Performance wise you'll get about 20 HP alone and more with supporting mods. If you get an O/R (off road - no cats) H or X pipe you will not pass emissions inspection and if you get caught without them, the EPA will fine you $750 for every cat missing on your car (that's NJ law, the fines could be different state to state). If you want a mid pipe, get one with cats and you'll pass inspection; unless your state has no emissions inspection... I hope that helped...