4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

LIGHTWEIGHT WHEEL ADVANTAGE?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 12:03 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Default LIGHTWEIGHT WHEEL ADVANTAGE?

I know light weight wheels are better than heavyweights but am looking for what the correlation is. I had heard that each pounf of a wheel is equal to 8# off the sprung weight(body). That seems high. Also read that there is not a big difference, that each 10#/wheel lighter equals 16.5# of body weight. That says that each pound =1.65lbs of body weight, not much.
Does anyone have the info and a link? I did a google search and read 10 pages and did not find what I am looking for.
On the topic of weight what does 100lbs removed from the body = in et time given equal conditions? I had always thought that each 100# = a tenth off the et. Anyone have info on this, sprung weight?
Then there is an aluminum drive shaft for our cars but I see no advantage as the rotation is so much concentrated in the center. Thanks, mark
Old 11-05-2006, 12:39 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Default RE: LIGHTWEIGHT WHEEL ADVANTAGE?

Every car is different but in general 100lbs= a .10 ET reduction, this forumla does not work for faster cars but is a good guidline for a street car. As for wheels they can help quite a bit up to .3 in my experiance. Now I gotta say this next part. Whatever gains you see from them on your little Gtech thingy should not be quoted as REAL WORLD gains, when you talking gains of less than .3 tenths there is no way of knowing if the gains were from better driving, weather, a tail wind etc. Please listen to people who have more experiance than you do, we are just trying to help.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:27 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Don't forget the tiny stupid tires up front to reduce drag as well! I love it when I see people on the street when their stangs have tiny tires up front like they are racing it down the runway. I just laugh at them and ask how the handle in the corners and over the bumps!..lol It def. helps going down the runway along with the lighter wheels, but if you don't have anything close to 600hp, I wouldn't waste your time on lightweight wheels! Same thing with the drive shaft. It will cost you about $350 and you won't even beable to tell any difference. Don't be fooled when people who do low 10's down the runway say it helps, it does but there are many many other parts and factors involved with making everything come together! If you need anythin is to lighten up your load quite a bit, like throwing your spare tire and jack in the garage and only fueling up 1/4 to 1/2 a tank. Make sure your trunk is EMPTY! A trunkmount battery believe it or not will help a closer to stock situation better than lightweight wheels for the money! ($175) I wouldn't worry about doing a rear seat delete as I think they are the stupidest things out there. Your back seat doesn't weigh more than 15#'s all together and it gives it a cheesy look. Race seats will yield you about 25#'s. Those should help you get Full subframes under your car without gaining more weight. (completely gutting your interior only yeilds roughly 130lbs all together!)
Old 11-05-2006, 01:48 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: 97targa

Don't forget the tiny stupid tires up front to reduce drag as well! I love it when I see people on the street when their stangs have tiny tires up front like they are racing it down the runway. I just laugh at them and ask how the handle in the corners and over the bumps!..lol It def. helps going down the runway along with the lighter wheels, but if you don't have anything close to 600hp, I wouldn't waste your time on lightweight wheels! Same thing with the drive shaft. It will cost you about $350 and you won't even beable to tell any difference. Don't be fooled when people who do low 10's down the runway say it helps, it does but there are many many other parts and factors involved with making everything come together! If you need anythin is to lighten up your load quite a bit, like throwing your spare tire and jack in the garage and only fueling up 1/4 to 1/2 a tank. Make sure your trunk is EMPTY! A trunkmount battery believe it or not will help a closer to stock situation better than lightweight wheels for the money! ($175) I wouldn't worry about doing a rear seat delete as I think they are the stupidest things out there. Your back seat doesn't weigh more than 15#'s all together and it gives it a cheesy look. Race seats will yield you about 25#'s. Those should help you get Full subframes under your car without gaining more weight. (completely gutting your interior only yeilds roughly 130lbs all together!)
Maybe you should realize that not everyone shares your goals and likes. There are plenty of people (like me) who could give a $hit about how well thier car handles in the turns and run a skinny up frount because every little bit helps, and the ride is pretty good actually. Sure the car does not handle like it could but that does not matter when I am 10 lengths in front of you. Fact is that in this country more people care about straight line performance, because on the street it is how cars are judged. If you race around on twisty roads and weave in and out of traffic your just a moron.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:28 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Not to jack the thread or anything, but how much do the stock GT wheels like I have weigh?
Old 11-05-2006, 02:49 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JD1969
If you race around on twisty roads and weave in and out of traffic your just a moron.

I resemble that comment

Well, everything but weaving in and out of traffic... I enjoy the twisty roads, and exercise my common sense, instead of my testosterone..

But JD1969 hit the nail on the head.. Keep in mind that every pound you take off the car will help, regardless.. A lot of the free mods are taking extraneous sh-t out of the car..

JT
Old 11-05-2006, 03:22 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: handyandy

Not to jack the thread or anything, but how much do the stock GT wheels like I have weigh?
r a street car. As for w

Hmm, id imagne to find that you would look at the shipping on someone who is selling them.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:07 PM
HpOoRwSeEr
2nd Gear Member

disagree with camaro kid here. sure dragging is fun and all, but circuit racing takes a hell of a lot more skill than dragging.

lets see whats harder? and more challenging?

A- pedal to the floor, shift gears. over in 6-25sec. depending if your driving a funny car. or stock scion xb
B- pedal to the floor if possible, including hairpin turns and constant shifting. over in........well a long time
Old 11-05-2006, 07:15 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: HpOoRwSeEr

disagree with camaro kid here. sure dragging is fun and all, but circuit racing takes a hell of a lot more skill than dragging.

lets see whats harder? and more challenging?

A- pedal to the floor, shift gears. over in 6-25sec. depending if your driving a funny car. or stock scion xb
B- pedal to the floor if possible, including hairpin turns and constant shifting. over in........well a long time
OK first off I am no kid and most likley have been involved with fast cars of all types for longer than you have been alive. Second I did not bash road racing, infact I like it, I just cannot afford to do it on the level that I want, but I can drag race at a semi pro level for way less. The original poster asked a question about light weight wheels and 97targa went off about how much skinny wheels up front suck and how we all dumb to run them. My point was that there are many different reasons that a person might want a light wheel and not to judge them for wanting them. BTW I have my SS in my sig just to bait people like you, I could put the NMRA F/S Stang back in there, but it's more fun to watch people like you make assuptions abouit me.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:28 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

i hear that every pound off rotational weight (wheels, tires, driveshafts etc etc) is equivalent to seven off the unsprung weight...dont ask for a physics or mathmatical explanation, it sounds good though if its true