4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New Mustang Owner Qs

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 02:55 PM
FWMustang00

Default New Mustang Owner Qs

Greetings all and thank you for such a great forum. I've had a few of my questions answered via the search, but I didn't find these.

As a potential first-time Mustang owner (previously owned GM products mostly), I am looking at buying a 2000 Mustang GT Automatic. My q's are:

1) Along the inner area (towards the back) on both sides of the roof's trim piece that separates the door from the roof is about a 1/4" width x 2" long area of surface rust. Is this normal for these cars, or perhaps a sign it was repainted poorly?

2) The car has 89,000 miles on it. What is a general life of these motors if cared for properly?

3) What would be the first modification you would do to boost performance -- replacing the factory mufflers and/or exhaust, or a cold air kit?

4) This seller is firm at $8,200 for the car. It has a virtually perfect interior (no rough areas, tough spots, or cracks in the leather), with the Mach Sound System and no moonroof. The exterior is VERY straight with no dings or body damage. It just has a small area of horizontal cracks in the paint near where the hood meets the grille that are about 4 in number and 2" in length. Is that a pretty reasonable price?

Thank you for any feedback you can provide.

FWMustang00
Old 11-19-2006, 03:00 PM
Rusmisel01GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New Mustang Owner Qs

There shouldnt be any rust on anything from a 96+... unless its an easy fix i wouldnt get a car with rust on it in more then 1 spot.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:03 PM
FWMustang00

I may have not properly described the surface spot. It is almost like it is up under the trim piece because while you can see it clearly, you can't put your finger on it unless you stick your finger up under the trim piece and sort of scrape at it.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:11 PM
patriot98
1st Gear Member

You have to look everywhere for rust, and there should be absolutely no rust. If there is you pass the car and go to the next one.

Unless you can do engine work, get vehicle with under 50,000 miles on it. Even then, go ahead and test drive a good mustang at a dealer, and then compare all your other test drives to that one. If engine feels dull pass it and move on to the next car. These engines can last long, but the fun factor stops around 120,000 miles, if maintenance was done all along, if not, much earlier.

You can boost performance by either mods or rebuild, depending how old is your engine. It makes no sence to mod a motor that is old. Full exhaust will give the most power, intake might give you 5 horses. Clutch, gears, and tires will feel better.

Tell the seller to bend over, put his head between his legs, and kiss his own ****. Its a crappy deal, the car has rust. When you look at the car it should have good paint, no dents, or dings, detailed, engine bay should be clean, and there should be no rust anywhere. Interior? It should be perfect too, thats the easiest thing to get perfect, and it is the cheapest thing to get detailed, so you should expect interior to be perfect. 8k for that car, like I said, tell him to do that exercise.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:13 PM
patriot98
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FWMustang00

I may have not properly described the surface spot. It is almost like it is up under the trim piece because while you can see it clearly, you can't put your finger on it unless you stick your finger up under the trim piece and sort of scrape at it.

Rust is rust, and you better get it fixed unless you want a gheddo convertible, and some might use other words to describe it.

How much to repair that? Well, you will have to undress the car, take care of the rust by sand blasting, then use filler, prime it, and paint it. Thats around 5 grand if you find a good deal. So like I said before, run.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:17 PM
Rusmisel01GT
5th Gear Member

HHMM.. im not sure about the rust... but $8200 for a 2000 sounds like a good deal to me.

If you maintain your car well you should have not have to worry about your motor, That is probably the last thing you will have to worry about unless you go F/I.

The best 2 things you can do to "boost performanc" hands down is Gears (3:73 - 4:10) and full exhaust (including Long tube headers/midpipe). Throttlebody/Plenum and cold air or ram air intake wouldnt hurt either, and if your staying n/a get some steeda pulleys.

If the body damage you speak of is easy fix i say go for it... i would take a freind who is familiar with bodywork damage to get a close quote on price to get it fixed... then see what you think.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-19-2006, 03:20 PM
Rusmisel01GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: patriot98

ORIGINAL: FWMustang00

Rust is rust, and you better get it fixed unless you want a gheddo convertible, and some might use other words to describe it.

How much to repair that? Well, you will have to undress the car, take care of the rust by sand blasting, then use filler, prime it, and paint it. Thats around 5 grand if you find a good deal. So like I said before, run.
Most surface rust will sand out, you dont have to get it sand blasted... if its a small spot he can get it blended for $200, since theres 2 spots its $400 max.

If it is rusted all the way through... then i would stay away from it.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:24 PM
patriot98
1st Gear Member

On the roof, you will have to repaint the whole car, you cant get it blended and expect the color to be 100% the same, it will stand out.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:39 PM
Rusmisel01GT
5th Gear Member

He said its hiding under a trim peice... and even if it was on the roof, a painter who knows what he is doing can blend it to where its un-noticeable, and if he doesnt feel like blending, just paint the roof, not the whole car.