4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

future mustang upgrade cobra vs mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 04:06 PM
Hot70Mach1
2nd Gear Member

Default future mustang upgrade cobra vs mach 1

if anyones got an opinoin i could sure use some help. my current car is a 2001 GT convt. its great i love my car. but i think that in about a year or two i want to uppgrade to something with a little more go. its tru that there are more performance parts for my car than i could ever come up with but superchargeing is out of the question due to insurance, but i think a switch to a 4v motor would provide a better platform for n/a engine performance adders-bolt ons and minor interior components. my basic question is do i spring for a 2001 cobra or a 2004 mach 1 or a 2005-7 gt.

i am really looking at IRS and think that i would really want that in my car, does anyone know if you can put it in yourself? like do they make parts, is it direct bolt on, things like that, i m a huge fan of the mach 1 i own a 1970 mach one, the only thing that keeps me from making it a landslide victory is IRS.

well if anyones got any input id appreciate it.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:27 PM
Mt Twigbert
4th Gear Member

Default RE: future mustang upgrade cobra vs mach 1

"superchargeing is out of the question due to insurance"

-They don't have to know..

"i think a switch to a 4v motor would provide a better platform for n/a engine performance adders-bolt ons and minor interior components."

-Yes, they respond better but they have their limits.. If I had it to do all over again save and get the 03/04 Cobra.. Yes, they are the flavor of the month and I'm tired of hearing about them but for the money they are the fastest and easiest to upgrade..

"i am really looking at IRS and think that i would really want that in my car, does anyone know if you can put it in yourself?"

-If you have to ask then I would say you can't do it.. Save the money, drive your GT and uprgade to something down the road when you can afford it and insurance..
Old 01-12-2007, 04:37 PM
majinprodigy
3rd Gear Member

look either way you look at it your insurence will go up, the 03 cobra/mach 1 both are R vin's meaning that insurence prices them in a higher bracket because of engine output. im not sure about the 01 but i believe it is as well (last i heard it was the 4v engine series that got the bump) the newer GT'S have a bump as well because they are newer and have have 3v engines.
best bang for your buck would be the cobra or mach 1 for the simple reason of better engine platform, the 05's have a better chasis design IMO but.. the wheel base is wider and car is longer...
if you want to deciede between the 2 of IRS vs Live then id suggest driving a cobra and a new mach, the new mach had drag racing in mind and was built for it, i personally had one and that SOB would launch like no other but on the streets or track when you need to make that quick yellow light turn the cobras IRS will prove much better then the Live.
in short... new gt if you want a DD
mach is you want a great drag machine
03 cobra is you want a ton of power that really shows on the track
i neglect 01 because if you have the money for the mach another 3k to get a fully forged supercharger engine with IRS would be a much better desicion and save you money in the long run
Old 01-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Hot70Mach1
2nd Gear Member

on the insurance, unfortunatly aslong as im under my parents policy its not getting supercarged. second i would like supercharging to be my last alternative. i have always been skeptical of forced induction on my car. not that theres a problem with it, i think the 03 04 cobras where probably some of the best mustangs ever produced. and i would def go for it but insurance is an obstacle, i myself would report it to the insurance because when you do get into a serious accident and the insurance you pay 300 dollars a month will be on your side, not denying yoru claim cause of the supercharger. but other wise id spring for an 04.

on the IRS, the question is can a live axel or a mach1/gt be converted to a cobra suspension with minimal/no custom work, can it bolt in or is there major structural work that has to be done.

this would be my daily driver and im not just looking at drag strips, the reason im looking at a IRS suspension is because i want a better daily ride in my car. i love my live axel, cause i love breaking the rear loose on empty corners and taking it side ways, but i heard that the irs would give me a more civilized ride. and could help on track conditions, which would help me in the street.

the main reason im asking as of now is because the my current GT is in the need of some repair. and depending of what im aiming for to do in the next year or two would depend how i fix it and what parts. do i put the parts i want to but then trad4e it in in a year and lose my money or just put thestock back on. thanks for the help.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:05 PM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

If your wanting an IRS that much but without a supercharger.... then your looking at either the 99 or 01 Cobra's. They are naturally aspired meaning no forced induction. You can get those for close to the same price as a Mach I anyways just depending on location and mileage.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:13 PM
99mustang0
4th Gear Member

Either one would be a great choice. I love my mach 1, but i also wouldnt mind having a 01 cobra either. You were saying that you wanted IRS so the obvious choice would be the cobra but like i said you cant go wrong with those choices.