4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

broke-in engine...KB questions....

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 12:45 AM
GT03 TJS
3rd Gear Member

Default broke-in engine...KB questions....

well in march I had a new engine dropped in. VT 302 Stroker w/Stage II heads/blower cams....+ BBK 75mmTB/Plenum

prior to the swap, my car was pretty much minor bolt ons - full exhaust in sig + UDPs + minor suspension....and it was pretty fun...but I did the swap and have been slowly breakin it in for its first 3000 miles just to be safe (VT says you need to be easy for 1000 miles but rather safe than sorry)....well two days ago I passed the 3000 mile mark post-swap...changed the oil....and took it out for some fun.

I'm guessing with the heads/cams + boltons im right around 285-300 to the wheels based on what other people here with similar mods are making....and maaaaaaaan, the higher power band allowed by the new block/internals/cams is freakin killer. About 15 minutes after driving around last night, I found myself next to a S197 GT and from around 55-110mph I had pulled a little more than one and a half car lengths on him before I let off.... what a difference that taller power band + heads/cams makes.....and despite what my sig says, I currently have an MRT catted H on due to emissions lol....but still.....what a freakin screamer my car is now.

What sucks is, I have my KB 2.1 sitting in my garage but I dont have any days off of work until after july 4th lol.....but I want to get that thing on NOW haha

couple of concerns.....to those with a KB....i love the sound my car makes now with my exhaust setup + cams....do you think the whine of the KB is going to drown out my exhaust? I know sometimes standing outside of a car compared to driving inside of it can sound like a world of difference...and i know everytime i hear a KB/GT all I hear is the whine.... hope i still get that mean exhaust note with cam lope....

also, i was hoping to be able to install most of the KB stuff myself and bring it to a shop to tune it. Anyone on here do it themselves? Any tricks I should know about?

I dont really have any days off for a couple weeks, but if I could do a little work for a couple hours every night and just bring the car to get tuned, I'd love to save the install cost.....

hopin for over 500 to the wheels after install + tune @ 12 psi think ill make it?
Old 06-22-2007, 12:54 AM
GT03 TJS
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: broke-in engine...KB questions....

oh, and about the cams I have.......I have VT stage II blower cams and they recommended 3.55+ gearing....and I reaaally wanted to hold off on doing gears until after I put the KB on to see if I'll even need them....

i havent noticed a problem thus far driving on stock gearing......anything I should be really worried about?
Old 06-22-2007, 01:25 AM
metaldrummer
3rd Gear Member

My motor is a 4.9 L stroker with heads, cams and a KB 2.4 breathing 12 lbs of pressure and I'm at 520 rwhp on a safe tune so you'll definitely make 500+.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:58 AM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

You'll probably hear the KB whine as you come, and then hear the exhaust as you leave. I don't think you'll be too worried about it with 500+ to the tires. Congrats man, enjoy, but be careful.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:11 AM
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: metaldrummer

My motor is a 4.9 L stroker with heads, cams and a KB 2.4 breathing 12 lbs of pressure and I'm at 520 rwhp on a safe tune so you'll definitely make 500+.
How do you have a 2.4?... For 2v motors KB only made a 1.7 which is now bored out to 2.1.. and a 2.2 which is now bored out to 2.6...[&:]
Old 06-22-2007, 02:35 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

If you don't make 550+ I would shoot your tuner. Anything below that with a KB and ported heads/aftermarket cams is shameful... MPH has several stock heads/stock intake centri cars making 550 without a i/c and 600+ with one.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:51 AM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT03 TJS

well in march I had a new engine dropped in. VT 302 Stroker w/Stage II heads/blower cams....+ BBK 75mmTB/Plenum

prior to the swap, my car was pretty much minor bolt ons - full exhaust in sig + UDPs + minor suspension....and it was pretty fun...but I did the swap and have been slowly breakin it in for its first 3000 miles just to be safe (VT says you need to be easy for 1000 miles but rather safe than sorry)....well two days ago I passed the 3000 mile mark post-swap...changed the oil....and took it out for some fun.

I'm guessing with the heads/cams + boltons im right around 285-300 to the wheels based on what other people here with similar mods are making....and maaaaaaaan, the higher power band allowed by the new block/internals/cams is freakin killer. About 15 minutes after driving around last night, I found myself next to a S197 GT and from around 55-110mph I had pulled a little more than one and a half car lengths on him before I let off.... what a difference that taller power band + heads/cams makes.....and despite what my sig says, I currently have an MRT catted H on due to emissions lol....but still.....what a freakin screamer my car is now.

What sucks is, I have my KB 2.1 sitting in my garage but I dont have any days off of work until after july 4th lol.....but I want to get that thing on NOW haha

couple of concerns.....to those with a KB....i love the sound my car makes now with my exhaust setup + cams....do you think the whine of the KB is going to drown out my exhaust?

No. Not at all. The 2.1 is quiet as far as blowers are concerned. You'll here more of the blower "whine" inside of the cabin than anyone outside of the car will hear.

I know sometimes standing outside of a car compared to driving inside of it can sound like a world of difference...and i know everytime i hear a KB/GT all I hear is the whine.... hope i still get that mean exhaust note with cam lope....

also, i was hoping to be able to install most of the KB stuff myself and bring it to a shop to tune it. Anyone on here do it themselves? Any tricks I should know about?

The install is pretty straight forward. Be sure to read the amendments and supplemental instructions they send out with the master install book. They contain a lot of VERY important information. I've already forgot your sig, but you WILL needat least a90mm FRPP MAF, 4" intake from filter to TB, 75mm TBand a SVT Focus pump inyour tankto go a long with the BAP. I'm making well over 400 rwhp on the factory SB and the factory pump hit 100% duty cycle at 4.2K with only 9 psi. When you go to remove the heat tube bracket bolt on the drivers side head, good luck. I broke down and used a reciprocating saw to hack the bracket off to get to the bolt. No problems because KB sends a complete tube/bracket with the kit. Don't use thread sealer on the two bolts that hold the main front plate. Use high temp silicone or you WILL develop a coolant leak. Do not listen to KB, their tune is NOT universal. Don't even bother putting the chip in you ECM. Get a hand held SCT tuner before you go see your dyno guy. Make sure you DO install the restrictor disc behind the FRPT. KB makes it look like an after thought, but it is important. You'll swear that the belt KB sent is to short. Believe it or not, it does stretch a bit. Don't fill the blower with oil until the car is sitting level and off of any jack stands. You will over-fill it. Budget ina Fluidyne radiator. You're going to need it.

I dont really have any days off for a couple weeks, but if I could do a little work for a couple hours every night

Plan on 2 solid days by yourself to get it done correctly. Take your time and pay attention to detail. It WILL pay off.

and just bring the car to get tuned, I'd love to save the install cost.....

hopin for over 500 to the wheels after install + tune @ 12 psi think ill make it?

Edit:
When the instructions that KB supplies tell you it's a two man job to put the intake/blower manifold on, they're not exaggerating. It's a bear to wrestle that thing into place without screwing up the intake manifold gaskets and maneuver it around/under the EGT tube by yourself. With your set-up, you'll probably find that the IC reservoir KB supplies is to small. Canton Racing Products can help you out there if you don't mind putting your battery in the trunk. I can't over empasize how important it is to pay attention to detail and follow the instructions to the "T". You've spent a lot of money and time on your car. Don't rush it.