4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

short throw shifter problems????

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 09:53 PM
Vizaracer
2nd Gear Member

Default short throw shifter problems????

ok... after having my short throw shifter on there a couple days.. it seems like its having problems.... when i shift, the car jolts when changing gears (and no its not my driving ) the shifter feels looser when the engine is warm and it shakes a ton when im in 1st gear? is something wrong with this shifter or what?
Old 02-08-2005, 10:22 PM
jgcd3

Default RE: short throw shifter problems????

I also have the Blue thunder shifter. I haven't had any problems with it. However, the first week I had it... It seemed a little stiff. But it feels good now. (Don't know if I just got used to the new feel of this shifter over the stock shifter). If you haven't already... double check your shifter stops. It's possible the stops are not letting your transmission to fully enguage into gear. I did realize more vibration in the shifter, but that is to be expected, due to the fact the shifter is more solid and has fewer rubber parts than the factory shifter. Let me know what happens.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:17 PM
LIVIN_LEGEND
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jgcd3

I also have the Blue thunder shifter. I haven't had any problems with it. However, the first week I had it... It seemed a little stiff. But it feels good now. (Don't know if I just got used to the new feel of this shifter over the stock shifter). If you haven't already... double check your shifter stops. It's possible the stops are not letting your transmission to fully enguage into gear. I did realize more vibration in the shifter, but that is to be expected, due to the fact the shifter is more solid and has fewer rubber parts than the factory shifter. Let me know what happens.
same here..........what he said ....
the first day i had the blu thunder..i thought something was wrong but it seemed to adjust it self by day 3-4
Old 02-08-2005, 11:30 PM
Pacman
2nd Gear Member

does the blue thunder have adjustable stops? if so maybee they are to close and not allowing you to shift completely. Just a guess
Old 02-08-2005, 11:31 PM
Vizaracer
2nd Gear Member

yes, it does have adjustable stops... im gonna take a look at the stops tomorrow when i get a chance. i wonder if the stops moved alittle bit after driving for a couple days. for the first day or two it felt totally fine. so i wonder if they loosened up any?
Old 02-09-2005, 03:04 AM
JamesSocal
2nd Gear Member

Its possible, mine had lock washers so that should prevent them from coming loose. But check it anyways just to be sure.
Do you reinstall the plastic cup dealy from the bottom of the stock shifter to the new one? Not sure what would happen if you didn't, but I thought I would ask.
I've had my shifter for a little over a week without any problems. Its a little noisy and a little stiff, but other than that its fine.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:51 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: JamesSocal

Its possible, mine had lock washers so that should prevent them from coming loose. But check it anyways just to be sure.
Do you reinstall the plastic cup dealy from the bottom of the stock shifter to the new one? Not sure what would happen if you didn't, but I thought I would ask.
I've had my shifter for a little over a week without any problems. Its a little noisy and a little stiff, but other than that its fine.
very important point. It will vibrate like a **** without that little "cap".

Also.......if you are in doubt, it's better to have the stops on the shifter adjusted a little bit out, instead of a little bit in. The 3650 has internal stops anyway (not that I'd totally trust them), so it's better to leave the stops a bit out to ensure that the gear is totally engaged. You should easily be able to slide a playing card between the shifter and the stops.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:54 PM
Vizaracer
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MikeHawke

ORIGINAL: JamesSocal

very important point. It will vibrate like a **** without that little "cap".

Also.......if you are in doubt, it's better to have the stops on the shifter adjusted a little bit out, instead of a little bit in. The 3650 has internal stops anyway (not that I'd totally trust them), so it's better to leave the stops a bit out to ensure that the gear is totally engaged. You should easily be able to slide a playing card between the shifter and the stops.
oh, ok.. i had the stops pretty close so that could be the problem...

and yes, i did install that cap on the shifter. i will check it out sometime if thats the problem though... i wonder if the plastic cap didnt stay on the shifter, could have fallen into the thing where it sits.