4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2000 GT automatic shifting question

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 04:41 PM
scfd524
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 2000 GT automatic shifting question

Not trying to hijack the post or anything but if I'm just driving around town with the o/d on mine will shift into o/d at 33mph and will stay in all the way down to 29-30 if I don't let off the gas completely. I like it when it does that and push on the gas just a little and get a nice low rumble at about 900 rpm.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:44 PM
stangalot

I don't know the previous owners. I don't think I have traction control. LOL were would the button be?
Old 01-15-2008, 06:03 PM
99_GT
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DrDeaths01GT

Damn, I should have thought of that also, by the way, do you guys have trouble with the OD kicking in WAYYY to soon if you drive with it on? I usually drive with it off unless I am on the highway or a road with a 55 speed limit. It seems it likes to kick in around 40 or so which bogs me down going up hills and stuff like that.

I noticed the same thing. It makes the car feel and drive better.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

Hi Guys,
My Auto is doing the same thing and didn't start doingituntilI bought an SCT tuner and flashed the computer. Could it be the hand held tuners?WhenI purchased and installed thehandheld tuner, my car shiftedharder than my 66 mustang with arace trans. If I had my grandmother in the car it would have broke her neck when it shifted into any gear. It shifts hard and makes loud banging noises going in and out of the gears as if someonewith amanual was really slamming the gears.

However, if you are having these problems at 45,000 miles, the trans probably fried the clutch/bands or needs transmission oil. I never had a problem with my trans until I flashed the computer with the SCT Tuner at 80,000 miles.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:01 PM
m260gt
2nd Gear Member

the button is up by the fog light button. and the rear defrost button. i like to drive with od off too. when it kicks into od it seems to accelerate slower. like one time i was racing on the highway and i had od off and i was accelerating. when i got to like 110 it was at the top of the gear and i had him by like a nose, so i switched od on and the guy left me. kinda annoying.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:03 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DrDeaths01GTDamn, I should have thought of that also, by the way, do you guys have trouble with the OD kicking in WAYYY to soon if you drive with it on? I usually drive with it off unless I am on the highway or a road with a 55 speed limit. It seems it likes to kick in around 40 or so which bogs me down going up hills and stuff like that.
I have 4.10's in my '99 and it shifts into OD with light throttle at 35moh. No bog problems but when I have my higher stall converter in that is capable of holding a lock at WOT it will hit even harder due to the both extra friction area dnd the better quality friction material itself.
Just personal preference for having OD activated at "X" mph or not. I'm fine with the 35mph activation but I need to have the rear gears set a bit tghter as that is where there is some slop which causes that terrible bang if you are getting one. Could be defective U-joints/CV joints, etc. Have it all checked out and when replacing parts I like to either upgrade or use Ford parts. www.tousleyford.com sells to forum members for 10% over cost. I have goten an emissions valve that was $56. here and I fgot it for $27. plus $7. to ship it so still saved $25.+ with what it would have been with tax!
Old 01-15-2008, 09:49 PM
stangalot

ORIGINAL: m260gt

the button is up by the fog light button. and the rear defrost button. i like to drive with od off too. when it kicks into od it seems to accelerate slower. like one time i was racing on the highway and i had od off and i was accelerating. when i got to like 110 it was at the top of the gear and i had him by like a nose, so i switched od on and the guy left me. kinda annoying.
Hmmm, mine is a 2000 GT vert. The defrost is on the left side of the dash and the fog lights in front of the vert control by the parking break.....but I bet if I haven't found it I don't have the traction control option.

I'm going to take it to a good transmission shop in town. Heck, even though I don't know the previous owners the carfax report shows it has always been in this area. The local speed shop may know the car.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:18 PM
califas_1987
3rd Gear Member

I have a 2002 gt vert and mine doesnt shift overly hard, at least not more than I would expect for my driving style. When just cruising I dont really notice the gears kicking in any more than I would on my 2000 Intrepid or even 1997 blazer. When I stomp on it, then it will kick in the gears harder, but again not more than expected. Heck even when I go WOT on the intrepid, it too will kick into gear harder than usual but I think thats to be expected of any vehicle you drive. The stang of course does feel stronger when the gears kick in than my other cars, but thats because of the stronger engine.

If you are buying your car from a dealership, have them scan your car to see if the tranny's line preassure or shift points have been modified, if they have, they probably were modified using a handheld tunner so you actually end up lucking out and get a free mod without having to buy a handheld tunner. Our trannies will be able to handle the harder shifts, although I would defenitely recommend installing a oil cooler for the tranny. The biggest week point in our tranny's is the overdrive band which can be damaged when driving your car just as m260gt described below. By all means avoid shifting into OD at WOT you should be able to go past 110 without needing to shift into OD, unless you have a limiter, but then if thats the case even OD wont get you past the limited speed.

OD is not ment to be a gear to use for accelerating, it is ment to be a gear to give you better fuel economy by allowing your car to cruise at lower engine RPM's. Any time you are getting ready to do any aggresive driving, use your thumb and turnth ODoff.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:37 PM
califas_1987
3rd Gear Member

Here is a good link (http://tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html#) with info about Ford Transmissions. We have the 4r70w.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:33 PM
scfd524
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangalot

Hmmm, mine is a 2000 GT vert. The defrost is on the left side of the dash and the fog lights in front of the vert control by the parking break.....but I bet if I haven't found it I don't have the traction control option.

I'm going to take it to a good transmission shop in town. Heck, even though I don't know the previous owners the carfax report shows it has always been in this area. The local speed shop may know the car.
Okay yours is setup like mine. The traction control button is in front of the shifter to the left of the cig lighter.