4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

removing valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 06:01 PM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: removing valve covers

hey thanks! that did the trick. yeah i was trying to be as gentle as possible because i didn't want to crack anything. i'm so used to working on older cars where you didn't have to be so careful cause everything was usually made out of metal. i've got the valve covers off now and the front 4 oil pan bolts, and after i eat i'm going to get the timing cover off and hopefully get the cams in tonight. should be able to have it all finished up in a day or two. thanks again for the help.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:20 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

What are you going to do about the power steering pump texas?

Remove the pulley, or FIGHT the p/s pump itself?

I battled for close to 2 hours w/o a wratcheting set of wrenches.

Needless to say, there was some cursing/hitting of things/wrench throwing..
Old 02-05-2008, 08:39 PM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

well i got side-tracked today, my fiance's car wouldn't start so i had to go jump her off, and lucky for me my CBR's battery is dead (cold weather i guess, haven't cranked it in a month or so). seeing that both of my methods of transportation were out of order, i had to walk to a friend's house, borrow his car, go get the fiance's car running so she wouldn't be late to work (she ended up being late anyway), and then spent the rest of the afternoon playing Madden08 at my friend's house ... so much for being productive, right?

i'm glad you asked about the power steering pump, because i hadn't really thought about it yet. i've got a couple pullers i've used on power steering pulleys before, would it be better for me to remove the pulley, or will i have to remove the pump anyway? i don't mind yelling/cussing at my car for hours on end, wouldn't be the first time and i'm pretty sure she likes it when i talk dirty to her anyway (the car, not the fiance).
Old 02-05-2008, 09:15 PM
72MachOne99GT

If you have a pulley puller that you are comfortable using.. i would imagine that you could just use that on the crank shaft pulley, AND the P/S pump pulley I believe, in which case you could leave the P/S pump sitting there just beside the timing cover.

if not, you'll have to go from underneath with *hope to god* wratcheting wrenches...

4 of em. 1's a bitch.. lol
Old 02-05-2008, 11:28 PM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

yeah i've got a couple pullers, one that i used on the crank damper/pulley, and i've got a couple that are different sizes and have three arms with "hooks" on the end... the three arms hook behind the outer edge of the pulley, so i'm thinking i'll go that route since i don't have ratcheting wrenches. only thing i'm wondering about is how easily the pulley will go back on, i'm not sure if it's a press fit or if it will just slide back on. if it's a press fit, i'd imagine i'll have to take the pump off, unless i can tap it back on with a rubber hammer or something.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:37 PM
72MachOne99GT

I honestly don't know exactly how a pulley puller works. That might seem wierd since I had the crank pulley removed obviously. The kid I was working with did it.

In fact, I really don't know how such a pulley goes back on either. So I might have to call him to figure it out. Unless someone here can tell me if you need to know how to use a pulley puller to put one back on, or if you even need one to put such a pulley back on.

If I were you though, I'd just take off the P/S pump. Honestly, it's not THAT bad. It's just 4 bolts, and one of them happens to be a pain in the ***. Hell, borrow/rent/steal a wratcheting wrench and you'll be FINE.

It took me about 15 minutes to get the first 3 bolts (and believe me, when you're looking at it, you'll know which one 'it' is lol) and then about 2 hours to get the last one because there's very little room to manuever the wrench. And w/o a wratcheting one, you have to spend 5 minutes getting the end back onto the bolt to turn. Turn a fraction of a rotation, then fight to get it back on...lol.. I laugh now........
Old 02-07-2008, 11:24 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

the lower rear cam bracket bolt could be in the way, it was for me, i had to remove the bolt and then it slide out. but try sliding the valve covers up toward the intake manifold. the stock covers shouldnt be the hardest to get off but that side is tricky for sure.