4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Hesitation/Misfire under load

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 06:53 PM
cajungt
2nd Gear Member

Default Hesitation/Misfire under load

Just hopped in the Stang ran to the convenience store for some Powerball tx. Started to drizzle while I was inside so when I hopped in I turned on the A/C, wipers, headlights, radar detector, GPS, and right blinker. (Yes I used the a/c today,73*out) It ran like crap! Turned off the GPS & radar, killed the a/c and stereo, it recovered pwr. So, do i start with Auto Zone testing the alternator & battery? No dummy lights came on, dash gauge indicates pos. charge. Car has 96,000 on the clock. While at A-zone tomorrow, gonna pick up new spark plugs. Are stock MotorCraft fine, or what is recomended? Will I need 12" extension on a "wobble" socket, small length of hose or tubing, WD-40 or Kano-Kroil? I seem to remember my brother (in Minn. so no help) pulling his plugs on his Cobra and showing me 2 extensions w/ a hose. So whattya think, Alt. issues? What spark plugs? Thanks for any ideas, input.....
Old 01-21-2010, 09:25 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

i just did plugs yesterday....what you need a tube for?? i just took out the bolts holding my fuel rails down (did NOT remove them) so i could wigge them to get more room for removing coils. then take off bolts holding down coils....pull them off

i used a 5/8 i believe deep socket with an extension to get the plugs loose and one of those flexible 4 pronged grippers (but could just buy a 5/8 spark plug socket...) to take them out and put in.

it would be nice to have compressed air handy to blow out crap before removing plugs. tricky one is passenger side against fire wall. passenger side requires taking off intake tube from TB. basically...move/remove stuff in your way...then reverse lol

search is great
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6-...s-99-04-a.html
Old 01-21-2010, 01:12 PM
cajungt
2nd Gear Member

OK, thanks, this is my first mod motor and have read about blown or stripped plugs. I've changed many small block Chevy's & Fords w/ no concern. It seems I may just need a tourque wrench this time. The hose was to "catch & hold" the plugs. I could be wrong about that, it seems my brothers Cobra needed a lil help w/ a hose over the plugs. Did u go with a Motorcraft or Autolite plug? How much per plug ? My LS1 were $35 a plug. I've read I could get 2v's @ 2.00 apiece.. Thanks, Ric
Old 01-21-2010, 01:21 PM
cajungt
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, search is great, reading 10 pages straight thru without finding out what brand plugs or description of tools needed, is'nt too great though...Ric
Old 01-21-2010, 02:10 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

well the stock ones are platinum i believe, so i got Bosch platinum 4's (middle of the line)...i think $4 or $5 each.

i believe you want to torque them to 11 ft-lbs, as far as tools..just an extension and some general sockets. its not that involved, whatever gets the job done.

open the hood, look at what your dealing with and start wrenching (not the motto to everything) but simple stuff yes
Old 01-21-2010, 02:28 PM
cajungt
2nd Gear Member

Ha,Ha, Thats how I usually approach things and it usually involves a 12 pack of cold ones. I have been known to have to pay an actual mechanic after I've made a mess of things, (last time I did a cam swap and 1.6 roller rockers) In the carport.. I did'nt want to strip the head or crossthread the plugs. On another note -tested alt. & battery, battery shot, which is much better -than the price of an alt. Thanks for the tips,car was bought W/ 92,000 on it. It wo'nt take long to replace all the stock stuff.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:17 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

no problem.

well you have to look and research the job you are doing. i would never attempt a cam install in a carport in my back yard. i know enough stuff to get me by, but "major" engine work like that i dont do. ive replaced a intake manifold and have done my own exhaust work/ suspension stuff.....but more can go wrong tearing into the engine when your dealing with torquing things the right way/amount and tips how to do things.

would love to learn with someone doing a cam install and help, but never do it on my own lol (which is why you had to have a mechanic fix your "mess" lol)
Old 01-21-2010, 08:21 PM
cajungt
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I researched it quite a bit, I thought i could tackle it (sometime in 97'-98'), got it running, did'nt know how to set valve lash....Ha, Ha, now my "mod" mech. is a master tech at at a Lincoln, Mercury dealer. I do'nt do valvetrain work anymore. Motor, tranny, rearend, suspension swaps I have successfully pulled off a few times. As I get older I'd rather pay for it, and have the piece of mind for major stuff. I find it much easier to work a day or two o.t.!! Thanks, Ric