4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

installing predator tune

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 07:57 PM
Fat Nick
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: installing predator tune

Damn, I don't know. I never had that problem. I'll give you my personal advice and experience. Do not touch the a/f or spark advance unless on a dyno. If it's still doing it on just a regular diablo tune, then you might need dyno tuned.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:18 PM
Jiggy_One
3rd Gear Member

After you disabled the rear o2's, did you go back into the diagnostics and clear all the codes? Try that.

Brian
Old 07-28-2005, 12:04 AM
4.6-GetBlown
1st Gear Member

THanks Nick. It came on with the regular diablo tune... then i pulled the fuel table -.5 to the rich side and installed that tune. Then on the way home from work I got the SEL again. I've cleared the codes every time and still no help.... It's got MIL elims still plugged in from where I didn't have the predator, but I dont think that would trigger anything. The only thing that I could think that would somewhat trigger is it my 85mm MAM? I'd hate to have to get a dyno tune on a rather stock car [:-\]
Old 07-28-2005, 12:37 AM
jishead
2nd Gear Member

Your error code 'bank 2 is running lean' would not have anything to do with the MIL or downstream O2's. They are not used to test lean/rich rather they only compare emissions after cats (compare, acutally divide, see my other posts). Anyway, I believe that there could be a vaccum leak, faulty EGR, faulty O2 or something like that which would cause your engine to run lean or appear to run lean. Most likely, the test that the computer performs in order to conclude your error WAS NOT performed during wide open throttle. The diablo user interface only allows fuel/timing adjustments which affect WOT. I suppose there is a chance that your Diablo tune (not your user settings, but the tune that came with it) has something wrong with the curve or was loaded wrong. I don't know. First thing that I would do is take the tune out, reset the computer and drive around at least 100 miles or until the error comes on whichever comes first. We want to know if this error relates to the tune or maybe you just unplugged a hose or something? Good luck.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:14 AM
4.6-GetBlown
1st Gear Member

Alright thanks a lot jis. I've heard a hissing noise coming from the passenger side since I bought the car. It's not too loud so I thought maybe it was just the whistle of air intake. Guess I'll have to look for a loose hose. I've been getting the check engine light since I got the car too.

Aaron
Old 07-29-2005, 02:58 PM
stangbuddy

you had the same trouble i had after installing 80mm c&l maf on 03 4.6 gt.. the a/f ratio is way off and it may look like a leak but the ecu can check egr and pcv flows. i had to change fuel injectors to 24# from 19# stockers. this fixed it..on old stangs you could just bump up fuel pressure, but on newer obdii stangs everything is monitored.....found my injectors off of lightning pickup stock w/24's... they were the easiest to change. remove some plumbing, electrical connectors, intake pipe, and 2 bolts hold down rails on either side...remove the chrome fuel rails and injectors just fall out...use lots of silicone spray to clean and lube orings.....the optimum stoichiometric ratio for a/f is 14.7:1 my fuel trim now is -20 was -.4.....
Old 07-29-2005, 05:02 PM
The Great Cornholio
I ♥ Acer

A good custom tune for the Predator can be had for a flat $75, which will eliminate any lean conditions caused by the C&L setup and/or your other mods. Dyno time can be expensive though, and a custom tune will require at least two and probably more sessions to get just right for your vehicle.