4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Couple maintenance questions about my new GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 04:04 PM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

Default Couple maintenance questions about my new GT

I want to do a tune-up on my GT. What would be good to replace? It seems like the motor runs a little rough sometimes at idle, I don't remember my dad's old '00 GT doing that. Spark plugs/wires/fuel filter/etc? I noticed a red ground strap on the driver's side from the block to the frame has been cut, should I worry about fixing that?

Also I've noticed the brakes like to stick a little. Like when I coast to a stop I can feel the brakes make the car stop instead of eventually coasting to a smooth stop. It feels like they aren't releasing totally, do the rear calipers have a problem with releasing completely if the e-brake is used? Is this a typical problem with the GT's?

Thank you!
Old 08-26-2005, 04:08 PM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Couple maintenance questions about my new GT

Oh yea, what kind of plugs would be best. And is there any adjustments I could do to the TPS to make sure it's correct?
Old 08-26-2005, 04:21 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Change the oil, fuel filter and use NGK TR55 plugs. You don't have plug wires, so don't worry about those. Bleed the brakes and see if that helps and flush the coolant system.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:25 PM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

I have COP ingition? Didn't think I did, but, cool I'll change the plugs tomorrow night and flush the coolant and use some de-mineralized water. The brakes are so-so, maybe a bleeding would do some good. I feel like I have to squeeze them a lot at first to get them to start biting, I also don't remember our old mustang being like that, I always remembered it having pretty touchy brakes.

Oil was just changed, tho. Won't worry about that for a while, has anyone ever installed an oil cooler on these cars? I have a whole oil cooling setup in my garage that was meant to go on my Probe GT but it could fit the mustang if I exchanged the sandwich adapter. I'm also going to move my gauges over (oil pressure, oil temp, water temp) at some point, put them on the a-pillar like in my Probe.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:32 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

air filter, fuel filter, plugs, make sure to gaqp them correctly. get a fuel system treatment, to clean out the injectors.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:46 PM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

What's the correct gap?
Old 08-26-2005, 08:16 PM
justingt
3rd Gear Member

it will tell u in your manual...just a question...y would u want to cool your oil?? wouldnt that **** with the viscocity if it's cooled since it would make it more syrupy??
Old 08-27-2005, 12:09 AM
02StanGT
4th Gear Member

Gap is .052 I believe, and using an oil cooler wouldn't make the oil syrupy. I don't think it would make it cool enough to do that.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:55 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Unless you do some serious road racing, an oil cooler is just extra weight, really.

I'd flush the coolant, clean the injectors, etc. like they said. Also, change the fuel filter out after you have the fuel system cleaned and don't forget the air filter. If you have the stock filter and housing, but a Steeda or K&N cold air intake and install it. Other wise, clean the filter.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:32 AM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: justingt

it will tell u in your manual...just a question...y would u want to cool your oil?? wouldnt that **** with the viscocity if it's cooled since it would make it more syrupy??
I use a thermostat-controlled oil sandwich adapter. It opens up at 180 degrees to allow oil to flow through the small oil radiator. It does help keep temps down. On my Probe, I would get up to 245 degrees on the highway and after the install of the cooler it never went above 210. It helped to keep the water temperature down as well.

Thanks for the advice tho on the fuel filter and intake. I'm putting in new plugs tonight along with a bottle of injector/fuel system cleaner, then next weekend I'll replace the fuel filter.