4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Transmission not shifting after H pipe install

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 12:32 PM
mineralpony
2nd Gear Member

The only time the shifter is hard to move is when I go from reverse to neutral. From P-R, D-1, and 1-2 are all normal.

You think I could align the h pipe by loosening the bolts and pushing it to the left and then tightening them up again?

How bad is it if the cable rubs against the pipe a couple times? I have to go out and don't have my jack with me so I can't fix it right now.

Thanks guys
Old 11-27-2011, 12:40 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

That is also obviously not a new pipe--where did you get it from, do you know what make it is?
Old 11-27-2011, 12:46 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by mineralpony
The only time the shifter is hard to move is when I go from reverse to neutral. From P-R, D-1, and 1-2 are all normal.

You think I could align the h pipe by loosening the bolts and pushing it to the left and then tightening them up again?

How bad is it if the cable rubs against the pipe a couple times? I have to go out and don't have my jack with me so I can't fix it right now.

Thanks guys
You can drive it for a bit with no issues, probably...

The driver's side joint at the manifold is a "ball and socket", I would loosen the nuts of that side, and if the X-pipe is not one piece loosen the other clamps--then see if the driver's side pipe can be dropped any.

If then drop the pipe and look for the mark being left by the shift lever scraping, give the pipe a few whacks with a hammer to "make" some clearance for the shift lever...
Old 11-27-2011, 01:03 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

From the pictures it looks like the exhaust is getting in the way. Since the picture you posted is when it's in park as you move to neutral the lever moves towards the back of the car which is where the exhaust looks to be sitting.

Like Cliff said take the pipe off and massage it so it has clearance and I'm almost positive you won't have issues anymore.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:08 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The engine, tranny and pipe move almost as one--so once you get 1/8" or more (1/4" would be better) of clearance it should be OK...
Old 11-27-2011, 02:30 PM
mineralpony
2nd Gear Member

Well I drove the car. It seemed fine. I will try the hammer technique in the spring because I don't drive the car in the winter. Thanks a lot for advice. Just saved me from buying a new midpipe.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:34 PM
mineralpony
2nd Gear Member

Cliff, It's a BBK H pipe. Not a x pipe. It's meant to be on 96-98 cars only due to the drivers side studs not aligning properly.I had to due some ghetto things to make that midpipe fit properly. Hammering it is just going to make it more barbarian. haha
Old 11-27-2011, 03:01 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by mineralpony
Cliff, It's a BBK H pipe. Not a x pipe. It's meant to be on 96-98 cars only due to the drivers side studs not aligning properly.I had to due some ghetto things to make that midpipe fit properly. Hammering it is just going to make it more barbarian. haha
Well that explains a lot...

You spoke of winter--I lived on Cape Cod, and VT/NH/Maine for 45 years, and have been down here for almost 20 now. I miss the crisp clean air, Florida has a permanent sort of musty smell though here on the ocean we do get less of it than inland--however I have to say that if putting up with the F'ing HOT weather in the summer is what I have to pay for not having winter then so be it...
Old 11-28-2011, 10:31 AM
02mustangkid

u might of knocked ur shifter cabel around thats what happened to my car after i but my h pipe in
Old 11-28-2011, 02:36 PM
mineralpony
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Well that explains a lot...

You spoke of winter--I lived on Cape Cod, and VT/NH/Maine for 45 years, and have been down here for almost 20 now. I miss the crisp clean air, Florida has a permanent sort of musty smell though here on the ocean we do get less of it than inland--however I have to say that if putting up with the F'ing HOT weather in the summer is what I have to pay for not having winter then so be it...
I'd rather be down south. You can drive your car year round without worrying about getting salt on your car. I'm also not a big fan of the dry wintry air up here.