4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Transmission Sounds?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 09:59 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Transmission Sounds?

My car doesnt make any noises and I dont think I need to put my head near the shifter to hear one. Why the f*** would you put your head near the shifter while your in motion???
Old 09-27-2005, 10:22 PM
outlaw01GT
1st Gear Member

I don't know about you all, but my 01 has a really noisy tranny. I try to tell myself that it is just supposed to sound like that, but it bothers me. Some of the things you said sound like mine. I hope I don't have the same problem. Is there anything I can do to test it so I know for sure if I need a new throwout bearing or not? Like if I put the clutch in at second and hear a kind of droaning that slowly stops as the car slows down to a stop. Would that mean my throwout bearing is bad? And call me crazy, but it seems like its been making that droaning since I installed my Steeda tri-ax. Would that be a posible reasn for a noise like this?
Old 09-27-2005, 10:29 PM
outlaw01GT
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dajawu
If I buy a new clutch does that cover me for these parts? Also what the hell does a throwout bearing do?
I'de like to know the answer to this too. If I were to buy say a Spec performance clutch kit or something, would that get rid of any of these types or problems me and Dajawu are experiencing? I don't know if that replaces the throwout bearing your all talking about or not but I want my stang to be running good and a performance clutch would be better anyway...
Old 09-28-2005, 03:15 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: outlaw01GT

I don't know about you all, but my 01 has a really noisy tranny. I try to tell myself that it is just supposed to sound like that, but it bothers me. Some of the things you said sound like mine. I hope I don't have the same problem. Is there anything I can do to test it so I know for sure if I need a new throwout bearing or not? Like if I put the clutch in at second and hear a kind of droaning that slowly stops as the car slows down to a stop. Would that mean my throwout bearing is bad? And call me crazy, but it seems like its been making that droaning since I installed my Steeda tri-ax. Would that be a posible reasn for a noise like this?
What you're hearing is just gear whine from the transmission... the Tri-ax transmits the sound better than your stock shifter is all. There's a TSB on it (for the 04's at least) I know mine has bad whine in first, less so in second, even less and third, and almost inaudible in fourth.

From about 20 MPH put it in first and let off the clutch a little and slow yourself down that way, you'll really hear the whine... that's just a part of the TR3650 tranny... I'm assuming that's what you have (late-'01).

Your throwout bearing will make a different sound, park yourself next to a building or something with it in neutral and rev it to about 1800-2000 RPM and hold it there, then press the clutch in, you should barely hear a sound like a fan whirring down to a stop... if it's fairly loud or rattles or just makes a bad sound your throwout bearing is going bad. You can let go of the clutch and press it in again to hear the sound again... as many times as you like :P It's easier to hear it spin down from 1800-2000 RPM because it's spinning considerably faster and the engine isn't too overwhelmingly loud.