4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

making a mustang for the strip

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 07:12 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by LilRoush
Ah, so this is one of those unlimited budget/build time, gonna do it the hard way (or never at all) using the parts you heard might be the right ones from your friend's uncle's dentist's roommate, dedicated track cars that you'll drive all the time. Got it.

I love these threads, they are my favorite.
Geezuz bajebus, why don't you tell him how you really feel.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:39 AM
Nick V.
2nd Gear Member

Ah, so this is one of those unlimited budget/build time, gonna do it the hard way (or never at all) using the parts you heard might be the right ones from your friend's uncle's dentist's roommate, dedicated track cars that you'll drive all the time. Got it.

I love these threads, they are my favorite.

made me chuckle
Old 10-15-2012, 05:41 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Geezuz bajebus, why don't you tell him how you really feel.
If I'm wrong, I'll admit it when this car ends up going down the track. But look at the contradicting facts/comments so far in this thread - there is no way this is for real.

Doesn't know what motor/trans will fit - but is going to build a carb'd 302...er...351...er...408 that's blown and has NOS in a '97 V6...er...03. On top of that, the 'buddy who does this' has never heard of a torq box. And that's all in the first 8 posts.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:39 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

If I'm wrong, I'll admit it when this car ends up going down the track. But look at the contradicting facts/comments so far in this thread - there is no way this is for real.

Doesn't know what motor/trans will fit - but is going to build a carb'd 302...er...351...er...408 that's blown and has NOS in a '97 V6...er...03. On top of that, the 'buddy who does this' has never heard of a torq box. And that's all in the first 8 posts.
I've seen this threads just as many times as you and Watson agrees with holmes.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:34 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by moparman14
ok I even asked my buddy and he dont know whats a torque box??
and just an up date bought the engine stand and 351w time to start working over time haha
The typical strategy is to seam weld the factory torque boxes and install these:

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-h...e-box-kit.html
Old 10-19-2012, 09:28 PM
moparman14

lilroush why dont you think this can be done? I have the block of a 351w now. I priced everything for the motor and its going to be a few hairs over 5g's. for the car I been finding the 99-03 mustings for as lil a 3 grand and might put another 2 grand in the car.
but for right now all im thinking about is the motor. when its done Ill worrie about the car. but this isnt going to happen in a week I make 8 bucks a hr and work 4 days a week and I have other stuff to pay for. the only reason I made this thread is to see if it could be done, there would be no reason for me to even get the block if everyone told me it couldnt.
I been wanting to build and sale motors/hot rods. and this is me getting my foot in the door. I want to see if im even good at it. im shure you didnt come out of your mom with a wrench and just jumped on a big block. we all have to start some where..
Old 10-19-2012, 09:31 PM
moparman14

Gt04 I live about 20 min. out of athens in colbert if you would like to help me out that would be great but like I said its going to be a while befor I get the car but when I do i'll let you know.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:31 PM
moparman14

UPRSharad thanks man
Old 10-20-2012, 02:34 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

lilroush why dont you think this can be done? I have the block of a 351w now. I priced everything for the motor and its going to be a few hairs over 5g's. for the car I been finding the 99-03 mustings for as lil a 3 grand and might put another 2 grand in the car.
but for right now all im thinking about is the motor. when its done Ill worrie about the car. but this isnt going to happen in a week I make 8 bucks a hr and work 4 days a week and I have other stuff to pay for. the only reason I made this thread is to see if it could be done, there would be no reason for me to even get the block if everyone told me it couldnt.
I been wanting to build and sale motors/hot rods. and this is me getting my foot in the door. I want to see if im even good at it. im shure you didnt come out of your mom with a wrench and just jumped on a big block. we all have to start some where..

I didn't say I don't think it can be done.... I said I don't think you'll do it.

Reason #1 - you have no plan, and seem to be chasing a pipe dream You need a better base knowledge before you jump into such a project.

Reason #2 -
I make 8 bucks a hr and work 4 days a week and I have other stuff to pay for.
You are dreaming way outside of your budget. If you are planning such a build on that budget, I will also guess you're pretty young.

Reason #3 - You've already picked the hard way to learn by putting a 351 pushrod into a 99-04 V6 car. Crawl, walk then run. You are trying to run first - and sadly you are attempting to do it on your hands and with your eyes closed. It's going to be a painful process going about it that way.

Suggestion from me (a Mustang owner for 2 decades):

Buy a Mustang that runs. Drive it. Learn it. Get a feel for it. Take it to the track bone stock and see how you do. Over the first year, see where your weak points are with the car and your ability to pilot it down the track. From there, make a plan to build the car and KEEP THE GOAL. A drag car should be about suspension just as much as it is about power. When it does come time to step up the power, don't assume a bigger motor or a name you've heard is the best. Research it, and learn what it best for your plan/goal.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:01 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

UPRSharad thanks man

No problem dude!