4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

MGW ordered!/tranny fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 06:47 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Default MGW ordered!/tranny fluid change

Hey guys i just ordered an MGW STS with a cobrabob shifter gasket set for my '99 cobra. I already have one on the 2003 gt coupe and i am pretty impressed. anyways, the install is straight forward from what i can tell, but i am going to be changing my tranny fluid in my T-45.

Question is, im changing it through the fill hole where the shifter was at the top when i get the stock shifter off.
So,
- Do i pull the drain plugs, let it drain about 20 min, put the plugs in and fill her up?
-Also should the car be raised up higher on one side to get more fluid out?
-Im pretty sure (did a search) that the T-45 now takes 3.2 Qts of fluid. correct?I already purchased Mobil 1 synthetic ATF and thats what will be going in.

If someone could just walk me through it and make sure these things are correct that would be great. Im looking for preventive maintenance but want to do it on my own to get my own experience with these sort of things. Thanks!
Old 04-28-2013, 07:06 PM
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

All that you've stated is correct, just leaved it up on jack stands up front while it drains. (There's only one drain plug)
3.17 to be exact, honestly, who measures right? LOL
Personally I only use the Motorcraft Mercon V, was going to switch to RP, but still had four quarts of Motorcraft in the back.
When your ready to while its draining and the car is on stands you can start popping your old shifter off, and clean any rtv that may be in there. It takes me a while as I'm OCD as hell.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:09 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Seabee1993
All that you've stated is correct, just leaved it up on jack stands up front while it drains. (There's only one drain plug)
3.17 to be exact, honestly, who measures right? LOL
Personally I only use the Motorcraft Mercon V, was going to switch to RP, but still had four quarts of Motorcraft in the back.
When your ready to while its draining and the car is on stands you can start popping your old shifter off, and clean any rtv that may be in there. It takes me a while as I'm OCD as hell.
haha i am as well. i saw someone who used a plastic brillo pad as he didnt want to use a razor blade so he can catch some of the goo and also not scratch the top of the tranny.

i was going to get RP synchromax but ive heard mixed things after doing a search on here. Some people said the difference was amazing, others said not to use it, and that mobile 1 ATF was one of the best. Thanks for the input.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:06 PM
Duncaan

I used RP and I agree..Its amazing. Made my tranny shift like never before. It has 180K on it and it shifts like a dream again! The install is pretty easy. There is a heat sheild/sound deadner which is held in with 4 bolts. 4 bolts hold the old shifter in place. Pour in new fluid and repeat to reinstall everything. Dont forget to adjust the set screws so you dont bend the forks in the tranny!
Old 04-30-2013, 03:10 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Duncaan
I used RP and I agree..Its amazing. Made my tranny shift like never before. It has 180K on it and it shifts like a dream again! The install is pretty easy. There is a heat sheild/sound deadner which is held in with 4 bolts. 4 bolts hold the old shifter in place. Pour in new fluid and repeat to reinstall everything. Dont forget to adjust the set screws so you dont bend the forks in the tranny!
i imagine they describe in the instructions how to adjust the set screws? If not how do you do it? I cant see it being a big deal