4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Gear Ratios in stock transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 11:15 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Default Gear Ratios in stock transmission

I am looking at putting 3.73:1 gears in lieu of the stock gears in the back of my 2000 GT. Is there any special consideration on the transmission itself, the yoke joint, the driveshaft, or anything that I should look into/be aware of for when I put the gears in? Also, will new gears "edit" the car's cpu for emissions/fuel economy, and how could I get that set so it wouldn't be drastic (like the car "relearning" its gas mileage, etc).

I was also wondering, what is the best clutch to change the stock clutch for, I have a steeda tri-ax shifter, a steeda double-release quadrant, and I am ordering the steeda adjustable clutch cable kit, not sure what the best clutch is for the 3.73:1 gears. I am also getting the steeda aluminum driveshaft to replace the stock one.

Thanks
Old 10-16-2005, 03:47 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Gear Ratios in stock transmission

When you get new gears you will have to re-calibrate the speedo using some sort of tuning device. hypertech III, predator, scx or whatever, speed-cal some sort of ecu device. I would say go with a SPEC 2 Cluth.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:01 AM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

1) Get a 4.10
2) You don't have to change the d/s, but I went w/a FRPP aluminum one due to lighter weight & smaller rotational mass. I forget the exact numbers, but I can find them if you are interested. I changed my differential, axles, gear, & d/l all at the same time.
3) MPG can go up & down depending on how you drive. W/the gear you can short shift alot easier & start off in 2nd w/out a problem too, but if you romp on it you will see a decrease. You're driving still is very dependent on this.
4) I have a brand new SPEC stage 1 for sale if you or anyone else is interested. I have decided to go w/another brand. I have pics & everything. It was never used.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:17 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dlazrael

I am looking at putting 3.73:1 gears in lieu of the stock gears in the back of my 2000 GT. Is there any special consideration on the transmission itself, the yoke joint, the driveshaft, or anything that I should look into/be aware of for when I put the gears in? Also, will new gears "edit" the car's cpu for emissions/fuel economy, and how could I get that set so it wouldn't be drastic (like the car "relearning" its gas mileage, etc).

I was also wondering, what is the best clutch to change the stock clutch for, I have a steeda tri-ax shifter, a steeda double-release quadrant, and I am ordering the steeda adjustable clutch cable kit, not sure what the best clutch is for the 3.73:1 gears. I am also getting the steeda aluminum driveshaft to replace the stock one.

Thanks
Yes, you can put 3.73 gears into the '00. 4.10s if you want, but nothing wrong with 3.73. You need the speedometer recalibrated either by Ford or with a tuner. You need change nothing else in the drive train, unless you wish. You can do a swap of the driveshaft fairly easily. There are many clutches out there, depending on what you plan for the car. If you plan to use it as a race car, then a racing clutch setup is better. I put a CenterForce dual friction clutch in my last car at 91K. It was like driving a new car and hooked up nice. I plan the same for my current car when the time comes.

I recomment reading a lot of posts here and research articles on the Internet. Then, talk to jdaniel or Code3GT here on the forums.

Best of luck to you.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:43 AM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Thanks for all you're help, How much is that spec 1 clutch running?
I allready knew about the speedo, mustangtuning.com has a decent deal, of $269.99 for gears, royal purple gear oil and a speed calibrator. As for the FRPP, how much does that run, and what numbers you got for it? I'm looking to get into SCCA and also some street racing with a buddy of mine's team (mostly sprints/long dist drags). I also do alot of hwy driving going home on leave, and judgin by rpm usage (thanks to that rpm calc on this forum somewhere) it'd show me eating gas like it was cool, so I'm sticking with 3.73. Most of my driving is normal day-to-day, unless someone wants to 'mess around' on a light or such. Thanks again