4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Throwing car in "N" while driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 11:30 PM
midweststang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTRACER88
You wont forget your in neutral as many think. I only do it at lights. Its like manual cars... why leave it in neutral when you can hold the clutch in and have the car in first waiting for the light to change...

Originally Posted by ztalon
I guess you just do what is comfortable and natural for yourself.

I like having my car in gear. I usually downshift through the gears to first or second gear (depending on whether I have to make a full stop or not).

I like downshifting through the gears and have not found it to be a problem for my clutch. I had an original clutch in a 91 Eagle Talon TSi AWD that was still going strong after 17 years (before I sold the car due to salt damage...).

I prefer (and am more comfortable) with having the car in gear with the clutch down. Makes it easy to just take off when the light changes. Now, if I am stuck in a non-moving traffic situation for a while, I will move it to neutral and give my clutch foot a rest.

I never used to put the car in neutral while driving, when I drove an automatic. Just wasn't natural for me to do.
One thing about sitting at a light, or coasting to a stop while holding in the clutch is it will warm-up and wear out your throwout bearing. While your foot is off the clutch, the throwout bearing is not touching the clutch. When it is depressed, it is constantly turning and wearing out the bearing. Hope that might help some of you on the clutch down and in gear or sitting in neutral.