4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

how should i spend my money..

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 08:57 AM
brenstang
1st Gear Member

Default how should i spend my money..

So ive been changing my mind back and forth between going pi swap or supercharged.. I have a 1996 mustang its a 5 speed.. and the only thing i have done too it now is a k&n intake, swapped it to a pi intake manifold, bbk h pipe, and flowmaster catback.. the first thing im buying are gonna be gears and a good clutch.. the car has about 85000 miles on it right now.. what i cant figure out is what i wanna do next, im debating on ported pi heads with comp stage 2 cams, longtubes, and all other bolt ons ud pullies, upper plenum, tune etc.. or should i just do full bolt ons with the non pi heads and get different cams and go vortech supercharger. i saw the right up on the $1500 vortech if you piece it all together and thought about that too.. i have money to do whatever i really want with it right now so im just trying to figure out what i really want.. my goal is i wanna see 12's with good tires or slicks. idk ive been thinking so much about it kinda cant decide. what do you guys think?
Old 02-02-2010, 09:15 AM
agarr19
3rd Gear Member

The 1500 supercharger will be atleast 2500 but if you have the money go for it
Old 02-02-2010, 09:22 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

you should give it to me....

why not combine both? ported PI heads, cams, gears, full exhaust, SC
Old 02-02-2010, 10:22 AM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
^^this = win
Old 02-02-2010, 10:37 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

why not combine both *with a built shortblock*? *MMR900 shortblock*, ported PI heads, cams, gears, full exhaust, SC
^^^This=win.

^^^This=boom. You cant do ported PI heads, blower cams, full exhaust and a supercharger on a stock bottom end. People without heads and cams and full exhaust are pushing their stock shortblocks with 400+rwhp as it is. Add full exhaust, heads, and cams onto that and youre looking at a setup that you would NEED a built shortblock to even use. I mean even if he did use the biggest pulley known to man he would still need a new shortblock if he ever went into boost.

OP, if you want more power, what i suggest to you is to buy a new longblock with ported PI heads on it already, or go for trickflow heads and then put whatever kind of cam in you want, but make sure to plan for the future with your cam choice seeing that you dont want to do that twice. But if youre planning on going with a centri blower, go with around a high 8/low 9:1 compression and with the ported heads, blower cams, intake and that compression you'll be over 300rwhp for the time being, which is around where you should be at with the NPI heads and a supercharger anyways, and then all you have to worry about in the future is the fuel to handle the power because you'll know your motor can take it. This is my suggestion to you sir. Take it for what its worth.

Last edited by teej281; 02-02-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:22 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
^^^This=win.

^^^This=boom. You cant do ported PI heads, blower cams, full exhaust and a supercharger on a stock bottom end. People without heads and cams and full exhaust are pushing their stock shortblocks with 400+rwhp as it is. Add full exhaust, heads, and cams onto that and youre looking at a setup that you would NEED a built shortblock to even use. I mean even if he did use the biggest pulley known to man he would still need a new shortblock if he ever went into boost.

OP, if you want more power, what i suggest to you is to buy a new longblock with ported PI heads on it already, or go for trickflow heads and then put whatever kind of cam in you want, but make sure to plan for the future with your cam choice seeing that you dont want to do that twice. But if youre planning on going with a centri blower, go with around a high 8/low 9:1 compression and with the ported heads, blower cams, intake and that compression you'll be over 300rwhp for the time being, which is around where you should be at with the NPI heads and a supercharger anyways, and then all you have to worry about in the future is the fuel to handle the power because you'll know your motor can take it. This is my suggestion to you sir. Take it for what its worth.
Why not? Theres plenty of people on here that did it. I dont remember his name but theres a guy that has a pi swap stage II cams exhaust and hes procharged at 8psi. You can do it you just cant push more than 6-8 psi with the compression. But with a good dyno tune itll be safe.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:50 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Well they were talking PORTED PI heads. But yea, i didnt even factor in the compression into the mix. Full exhaust, stage 2 blower cams, stock PI heads on an NPI shortblock=trouble. Too much power and compression i'd say.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:11 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Well they were talking PORTED PI heads. But yea, i didnt even factor in the compression into the mix. Full exhaust, stage 2 blower cams, stock PI heads on an NPI shortblock=trouble. Too much power and compression i'd say.
ehh teej has a good point, I'd decide if you wanna put a blower on the car or not and then just get gears, do some research and go from there