4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

xpipe and pulleys?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 07:28 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

I used to have flowmasters and loved them i just wanted to try a different sound so i made my own resonators lol. With my o/r h its really not that loud unless i get on it. Maybe thats due to the lts. It screams when you get on it though it sounds great.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:55 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by stangit9090
Might as well not even waste your money on a midpipe if you are going to go catted.

IMO.
Have you ever put on a catted midpipe from stock? If so, you dont have any room to talk. I went from stock to catted x and there was a considerable amount more volume in the exhaust over stock. And for those of us who live in emissions controlled states that dont feel like swapping midpipes for every inspection or emissions test, catted does just fine and will give you the increases in noise and power that the OP would be looking for.

Originally Posted by Georgio281
LOL @ people with Flowmasters bashing LM1s with an O/R X.
Im actually a huge fan of SLP LM1's...not with an o/r x pipe though. Im not a huge fan of the flowmasters with an o/r x pipe either which is why im running my catted x again and selling the o/r x pipe. But flowmasters actually do have tone, no matter if they are run with a catted or o/r midpipe. LM1's dont really have tone ever but they have a decent sound when run with a catted x pipe, but not o/r. When used with an o/r x pipe, they do nothing but "clap" which is an insane amount of rasp. I dont see how anyone can stand that sound. But i do not know the OP, but if you want to OP, go for it and have fun raising the dead and making less power because you have no backpressure in your exhaust at all.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:11 AM
richmustang1880
2nd Gear Member

wow arguing about how loud its going to get lol

and the lm1s are really throaty, low at idle, nice when you step on it and relatively no drone i expect it to get louder, more raspy and more drone but i just had a 5.0 with lt headers o/r h pipe and flowmasters it was loud, I dont think this will come close.

and we will find out bought it. Should be here thursday or friday will install saturday and let you know how it goes. i also decided to pick up the pulleys for $270 all together really couldnt pass it up if nothing else they will look nice in the engine bay. those will go on sometime next week.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:16 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

You dont think that LM1's with an o/r x pipe is going to be as loud as a fox with l/t's, o/r h, and flowmasters??? You have a lot to learn. lol The exhaust combo youre putting on your car is the loudest exhaust combo known to mustangs, only second to straight pipes. Its going to be a ton louder than your old fox.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:54 AM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
You dont think that LM1's with an o/r x pipe is going to be as loud as a fox with l/t's, o/r h, and flowmasters??? You have a lot to learn. lol The exhaust combo youre putting on your car is the loudest exhaust combo known to mustangs, only second to straight pipes. Its going to be a ton louder than your old fox.
huge +1

to the op, if you're into loud azz setups, go for it. Like I said in my other post, I love'em loud. Nothin like a mustang with a beastly exhaust...especially if you mate it with a nasty cam.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:21 AM
stangit9090
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Have you ever put on a catted midpipe from stock? If so, you dont have any room to talk. I went from stock to catted x and there was a considerable amount more volume in the exhaust over stock. And for those of us who live in emissions controlled states that dont feel like swapping midpipes for every inspection or emissions test, catted does just fine and will give you the increases in noise and power that the OP would be looking for.
Yes, I have. Biggest waste of money. You can't make friends that do inspections/emissions testing? Depressing.

I can almost promise you he will reget spending double for a midpipe that will not yield him the loud sound he is probably after.

Last edited by stangit9090; 03-08-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:27 AM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

I just took one of my cars in for emissions. All the did was plug the car's computer in. They didn't use any exhaust sniffers or inspect underneath the car.

Seems to me that I could have gone without cats and passed. I could be wrong, but can't you tune the car to pass and then switch it back or something?
Old 03-08-2010, 11:18 AM
richmustang1880
2nd Gear Member

o well i wont mind if its loud and neither will anyone else where i live so im just hoping it sounds good
Old 03-08-2010, 12:26 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

One of my family's closest friends is an inspection mechanic and he passed my old 98 GT with an o/r h pipe and he passed my 02 this time with an o/r x pipe. But if i were to get nailed for illegal exhaust, he runs the risk of losing his inspection license but he has hook ups in emissions as well. I'd rather not put part of people's livelihoods at jeopardy so i can run around with loud exhaust.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml9UYvWcepU
That setup is ridiculous. My friend Sara put that setup on her car and it sounded horrible. You could here her coming from a mile away, but not in a good way. Adding cats to the mix takes away a lot of what people, like myself, dont like about the LM1's like the excessive clapping under part throttle around 2000rpm, the cracking and loud popping under deceleration, and the fact that anyone can hear you from miles around and know when you get on the fun pedal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdemYE8n_2A
That sound is much more manageable and its still loud as hell. I'd venture to say that its louder than a lot of mufflers with an o/r x pipe still even with cats on it. When i switch to the IRS, im probably going to get some LM1's to weld into the magnaflow catback thats coming with it and keeping the catted x. Either that or SSS adrenalines.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:08 PM
richmustang1880
2nd Gear Member

well put the xpipe on and it sounds good i dont have lm1's but lm2's ill try and post a video sometime this week. And i decided not to do pulleys right now but to do gears next. All that i have left to order the install kit and then save up for the labor.