4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

New Dyno Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 12:28 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kugzgt
ur gonna love those cams stangalator.they def give the car that much needed extra power. heres my dyno sheet after i did my whole swap
I can't view the graph its too small to read, lol. Your numbers are very nice though!

Do those cams have good low end power too? I know there is always lost torque down low since he recommends 3.73 for them but you know what i mean. How about gas mileage after them? is it livable for a daily driver? did you do the degreeing service nick offers for them, how was clearance and all that? sorry for all the questions, id rather be safe then sorry after reading all the PTV issues stage 2 cams have.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:55 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangalator
I can't view the graph its too small to read, lol. Your numbers are very nice though!

Do those cams have good low end power too? I know there is always lost torque down low since he recommends 3.73 for them but you know what i mean. How about gas mileage after them? is it livable for a daily driver? did you do the degreeing service nick offers for them, how was clearance and all that? sorry for all the questions, id rather be safe then sorry after reading all the PTV issues stage 2 cams have.
Mine lost nothing down low at all. We started the dyno run at 2K and it was within 3-4 hp of the old cams till 4500 where the new cams really took off.

Daily driving isn't affected one bit. Nothing changed in that aspect.

My gas mileage did suffer a bit (nothing horrible though) but that is expected with any aftermarket cam.

I bought the matched cam gears and adjustable crank gears from Nick and degreed mine in. Once dialed in i got about .030" clearance at a 110 ICL. So Nick's finding are dead on.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:24 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangalator
he recommends 3.73 for them but you know what i mean.

IMHO - a stock cammed Mustang is happy with 3.73..................

Gears before cams if staying NA, you will be much happier.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:15 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by mrtstang
So Nick's finding are dead on.
Still trying to convince others about this^^^^^
Old 07-21-2010, 09:10 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
Still trying to convince others about this^^^^^

He learned the hard way himself with a trail of bent valves....................
Old 07-22-2010, 12:10 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
Mine lost nothing down low at all. We started the dyno run at 2K and it was within 3-4 hp of the old cams till 4500 where the new cams really took off.

Daily driving isn't affected one bit. Nothing changed in that aspect.

My gas mileage did suffer a bit (nothing horrible though) but that is expected with any aftermarket cam.

I bought the matched cam gears and adjustable crank gears from Nick and degreed mine in. Once dialed in i got about .030" clearance at a 110 ICL. So Nick's finding are dead on.
Thanks, I am looking at doing this next summer so i'm getting all the research done now.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:14 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nickmckinney
IMHO - a stock cammed Mustang is happy with 3.73..................

Gears before cams if staying NA, you will be much happier.
I have 4.10's now, i just figured you were recommending gears because low end was lost. I plan on doing the service you offer in which you degree the cam lines to the gears, but will the cams still need to be degree to the engine after the gears are degreed to the cams? Or will your service be enough to drop them straight into my engine? I want to do the install myself but I don't have the degreeing tools or know ho to check PTV.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:54 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

I test degree them on a blueprinted motor and everyone who has rechecked my findings has been within 1 degree on their motors. Basically drop them on and go (like the way it should be)
Old 07-22-2010, 08:17 PM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

plus one for the mhs stage 2 cams. have them in my ride and love them. dd hasn't changed what so ever other than the fact the car jumps around alittle while idling. sounds great also. heres a clip of my car with cams installed to further stear you towards these cams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ3dB...eature=related
Old 07-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Nice gains OP! Do you have a sheet you can post up? I'd love to see the torque curve looks.