4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

What intake manifold should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 01:57 PM
travbedaman
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by nickmckinney
The Dorman doesn't even look the same from the outside, and it doesn't use gaskets but rather built in seals that fail after the first use. Here is a photo of each from just the top side, the Dorman is physically smaller than the PI as well when viewed from all the other angles. There are many vendors selling the Dorman and using the OEM PI picture, buyer beware. The Dorman has casting ribs in the middle and "windows" between some of the ports is the quickest visual indicator from the top.

Craptastic Dorman:

Proper OEM Ford PI:

Thanks for this info, I almost ordered the Dorman thinking it was the same thing, you da man.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:00 PM
kamakazie_1

Afternoon all,

I've been on this board for a while but just read the post for the most part, haven't really found anything I've not been able to just fix on my girl's 97 GT. This posts topic just started ringing true for me. I've had a small leak on the nipple for the heater hose on the back of the manifold for about two months now, not much of a leak but a leak none the less. The last two weeks I've found coolant in a couple of the spark plug holes and they have essentially shorted out the spark plugs. I've changed all the wires and plugs and today, missing engine again, I've checked several of the spark plug holes on the drivers side and they are full of coolant up to the top of the spark plug again.. Obviously this leak is proggresively getting worse.

We had the manifold replaced about 6 years ago from the dealer on a recall, so it has the aftermarket plastic and metal manifold up by the thermostat housing but here we go leaking again. my manifold looks to be the Dorman replacement that the dealer put on looking at the pics that were posted here..

After reading all 6 pages worth of posts here, I'm still a little confused which manifold I should get to replace this one again. This car is not racing, in fact the only time it ever has any fun is when I drive it, my better half babies it. It's a daily driver so I have no plans or funds to go on a HP or Tourque upgrade to make it faster it just doesn't get driven that way.

Thoughts??

RJ