4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

picture of my TOB, pressure plate from tranny slide

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 08:17 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Evan...when I replaced my TOB last August/September, mine started with very similar problems. Mine started with chirping at idle and I had no clue wtf it was, then whenever I would take off from a stoplight, my peddle would get very spongey. This eventually progressed into a gradual complete annihilation of the TOB. I'd say you should be ok temporarily if you take it easy. Check out one of my previous threads "This Clutch is a B*tch", that will show you all about what we went through on mine.
I ended up picking up a Ford Racing TOB, grinding down the sleeve with a fine grit sandpaper and its been perfect ever since. I too wasn't exactly cashing in at work at the time so I was unable to replace the whole clutch. The TOB off lethalperformance was something around 65bucks. Might not be a bad idea to get some tools, a few friends, pizza and some beer and go to town on it replacing it soon.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:19 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Another idea is, where in Maryland are you from? Shoot whitefox/killjoy a PM and see if they are up for a sidejob for a couple bucks. I know they are always looking for extra dough and they are both Ford mechanics.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:35 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Sounds like a classic TOB failure to me. You can get away with just yankin the trans and putting a new one in. That's the route I would take. If you want it done for cheap shoot me a PM maybe we can work something out. Buy only a factory ford TOB when you do go to replace it
Old 02-23-2011, 08:42 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

One thing that helped peace at my mind when my TOB was going was putting it in third at a low gear and flooring it to check for any clutch slip. If it doesn't slip, you are fine more than likely to just replace the TOB.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:45 AM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

is there a minimum post count to start hating on Bladerunner?
Old 02-23-2011, 11:30 AM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by turbo232
is there a minimum post count to start hating on Bladerunner?
hate away brother
Old 02-23-2011, 04:42 PM
evanjp
1st Gear Member

yeah man like this clutch/tob issue is driving me crazy. taking off in first is just a terrible feeling. the vibration through the pedal is just a huge headache, it just clicks all the time, especially when coming to a stop. just vibrates so bad it makes a clicking/rattling sound all the time. takeoffs are sluggish too. going into gear hard seems to grab pretty good. slipping the clutch in reverse seems to be smoother than going into first. slipping the clutch into first on takeoffs are just terrible most of the time.

i'd be down for a side job. i live 20-30 mins west of DC depending on traffic and i'm willing to drive 2 hrs away or so. i'm eager to learn how to do big jobs like dropping the trans and stuff like that. i don't have a lift or anything at myhouse but i got jack stands and a good jack. my friends aren't as into cars as i am, but they might be willing to give me a hand, not too sure. we'd end up drinking too much anyway that's how it usually is.

purp i'll check that thread out. what sleeve did you grind down? when you say spongy... like soft? my pedal takes some effort to push in, but it is less now than with my older adjustable cables (i've gone thru 2 of them, they were just screwed afterwards) and it makes a weird woosh noise, like a semi-high pitched howl when pushing the clutch pedal in. it's pretty weird man, i have no idea what makes the sound.

i'm taking a little vaca to hang out with my friend the week of march 14 in colorado and go snowboarding and camping and ****. we're doing it survivorman style and only bringing some rope, a can or two of spaghettio's, jack daniels, some matches, sleepingbags and grass and shiz and going to hopefully kill a squirrel or catch some fish and eat them. it's gonna be crazy. so i gotta hold off on the project until after then. funds just wont' allow colorado to happen and funding a project at the moment.

also it just seems like when i am looking into the clutch from the tranny slide (i forget the name) and i look at the TOB, it just looks WAY too close to the pressure plate, and my clutch adjuster is screwed in all the way, so there should be more space?