4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

2003 Mustang GT Camshaft upgrade...PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 09:06 PM
CowboyChris

Default 2003 Mustang GT Camshaft upgrade...PLEASE HELP!

Hello all! I'm trying to find some performance camshafts to install in my 2003 GT, but there are soooo many different types and i dont really know what to look for in a performance camshaft. different durations and brands and whatnot, im so lost. I figured if anyone would know about what cams to drop in, it would be you folks. I'm open to any suggestions on brand names, specs on the camshaft, and anything else i need to replace while im replacing the cams. Someone in a thread i read said when replacing the stock cams with performance cams to consider doing stuff with the valve springs and other valve stuff too. opinions? more specs on my car: 2003 Mustang GT, 2V 4.6L V8, 95K miles, 5spd manual. Everything is stock except some exhaust mufflers that were on the car when i bought it. I plan on replacing those with full exhaust anyways. Any help with the camshaft replacement, valve replacement, ANYTHING replacement/upgrade, I'm open to. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-29-2012, 05:55 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CowboyChris
Hello all! I'm trying to find some performance camshafts to install in my 2003 GT, but there are soooo many different types and i dont really know what to look for in a performance camshaft. different durations and brands and whatnot, im so lost. I figured if anyone would know about what cams to drop in, it would be you folks. I'm open to any suggestions on brand names, specs on the camshaft, and anything else i need to replace while im replacing the cams. Someone in a thread i read said when replacing the stock cams with performance cams to consider doing stuff with the valve springs and other valve stuff too. opinions? more specs on my car: 2003 Mustang GT, 2V 4.6L V8, 95K miles, 5spd manual. Everything is stock except some exhaust mufflers that were on the car when i bought it. I plan on replacing those with full exhaust anyways. Any help with the camshaft replacement, valve replacement, ANYTHING replacement/upgrade, I'm open to. Thanks in advance!
Im looking into CMS stage 2 n/a cams. Getting them in a couple weeks, already made my mind up. Good for about 30 or so rwhp with a tune and a great loping idle. Heres a vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=aqxjDgEbCBs

Other brands to check out are comp cams, detroit rocker cams... etc.
Also a vlave spring upgrade is definitly needed along with a solid tune
Old 10-29-2012, 10:03 AM
CowboyChris

Originally Posted by xx10Gt
Im looking into CMS stage 2 n/a cams. Getting them in a couple weeks, already made my mind up. Good for about 30 or so rwhp with a tune and a great loping idle. Heres a vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=aqxjDgEbCBs

Other brands to check out are comp cams, detroit rocker cams... etc.
Also a vlave spring upgrade is definitly needed along with a solid tune
Awesome. Thanks for the link, ill check it out when i get home. I'm at work right now and YouTube is blocked haha. Do you know anything about the specifics? Someone i talked to up here at work mentioned i dont really need anything more than a 2.72 or it might have a hard time staying on while idling. Also, anything else i need to look at when im swapping the cams? other than the valve springs? any particular valve springs i should look for? sorry for all the questions, i just want to do it right the first time.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:26 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CowboyChris
Awesome. Thanks for the link, ill check it out when i get home. I'm at work right now and YouTube is blocked haha. Do you know anything about the specifics? Someone i talked to up here at work mentioned i dont really need anything more than a 2.72 or it might have a hard time staying on while idling. Also, anything else i need to look at when im swapping the cams? other than the valve springs? any particular valve springs i should look for? sorry for all the questions, i just want to do it right the first time.
no problem at all. all i know is that if you go past a stage 2 you could potentially run into PTV (piston to valve) clearance issues, but the ones above do not have any fitment issues. As long as you have a good tune with the cams and the right idle set, you will be good to go.

As far as valve spring upgrades, i cant tell you too much info, however i can tell you that i am getting these: http://www.cushmanmotorsports.com/tr...120lb-springs/

I know for a fact those will work with those cams and you'll be set. as i stated earlier, with a tune you can probably gain about 30 or so rwhp which isnt too bad. just make sure to have a reputable shop do the install if you arent going to be tackling it yourself.

If you want to go the whole 9 yards, some nice ole valve covers to make it look nice while youre at it!
Old 10-29-2012, 07:08 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

CMS stage 2 cams, are EXTREMELY CLOSE TO YOUR STOCK PISTONS... Will they fit, yes, but they are indeed close.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:10 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jtb727
CMS stage 2 cams, are EXTREMELY CLOSE TO YOUR STOCK PISTONS... Will they fit, yes, but they are indeed close.
but they indeed fit
Old 10-29-2012, 08:20 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

MHS cams

/thread
Old 11-03-2012, 04:29 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by sn95_331_GT_ yellow
MHS cams

/thread
This^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 11-03-2012, 05:30 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

One thing you should STRONGLY consider is this: Just because a set of cams "technically clears" when measured, doesn't mean they won't hit the pistons when under load or high rpms. I went through this whole route back when I had my 04 gt. To be safe I would have no less than 0.030" clearance.