4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Weird noise after driving in rain!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 10:29 PM
artnunez

Default Weird noise after driving in rain!!!

This past Friday it poured quite a lot here in Dallas and my car being pretty low I’m sure water got in somewhere because it definitely feels like there’s something wrong. Power isn’t there and it just feels very hesitant. Also it makes a very weird clunking noise when it’s in gear and foot on brake, noise seems to fade away when I get on the gas but as soon as I come to a stop it comes back up. Sound seems to come around the transmission and it only does it when it’s on drive.Also my service engine light started to blink after driving it in the rain.Ive been having it on due to having an X-Pipe before but never blinked. Car is a automatic 2000 Gt. Transmission fluid seems to be ok, engine oil as well.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:23 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Blinking CEL is missfire. Could have gotten water on connectors in the engine
bay, anywhere. Water can short just about anything that has a weak spot. I bet once
it all dried out, it's fine. The harness connection to the trans can be shorted
with water too...

My former TDI, when it rained real bad, my Glow Plug light would blink and I could
not get the engine RPMs passed 2000, unless going down hill. Water shorted
a connector, more than once. I had to seal it myself, one harness at a time
till it stopped, meaning, I got the right one...

Water sucks, and when it rains hard enough, it can short out connectors, and wires...
Old 09-28-2018, 08:59 AM
artnunez

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
Blinking CEL is missfire. Could have gotten water on connectors in the engine
bay, anywhere. Water can short just about anything that has a weak spot. I bet once
it all dried out, it's fine. The harness connection to the trans can be shorted
with water too...

My former TDI, when it rained real bad, my Glow Plug light would blink and I could
not get the engine RPMs passed 2000, unless going down hill. Water shorted
a connector, more than once. I had to seal it myself, one harness at a time
till it stopped, meaning, I got the right one...

Water sucks, and when it rains hard enough, it can short out connectors, and wires...
Where would you suggest would be a good place to start?
Old 09-29-2018, 12:28 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

I once had a Cavalier Z24, 2.8 Hi-Output, with the coil pack bar. One time it was so damp out,
The spark arced from wire to wire, at the coil pack. I had to replace all the plug wires.

My Silverado, has a distributor, with a NON sealed cap. I have yet to buy a cap that has any
kind of rubber seal at the bottom where it sets on the distributor... My son parked it on wet
grass for a WEEK, and the truck would not start. I had him get out a blow-dryer, and blow
dry at the distributor, and sure a ****, is started up after ten minutes of that...

Yours has coil packs, I know, but I am just stating how moisture fouls things up.
Your coil packs have plugs on them, water could be shorting the signal to spark,
to ground. You's have to see if it idles badly when wet, then pull each harness one
at a time to see which one does not effect the way it's already running, to see which
harness was shorted.

Same with other harnesses....