Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

New Interals

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 01:34 AM
Riggs007
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: New Interals

and also why do you hear about superchargers most of the time, because they are streetable and better for daily drivers?
Old 09-07-2006, 02:19 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

If you going for a turbo dont buy a ready made kit, most kits use a t-67 turbo, You would want something bigger for the long run like a gt40 with a t04, careful they are gt40´s with a t03. That will give you all the hp you will ever want. I am researching where I can buy the pipes. So far I have found almost everything. I am looking into the street scene eq body kit because I want to purchase that body but I wanna see the clearance the front bumper gives. I am willing to cut some of the frame of the bumper to fit in the biggest damn intercooler I can fit in there. There is no such thing as having an intercooler that is 2 big.

ATt. Andrew
Old 09-08-2006, 12:20 AM
wakebord99
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Riggs007

Well i guess i should take other look at turbos then, since drag racing is more what im looking for, could you point me in the right direction at where is should look?
Good choice then.. I personally recommend Garret systems. They make turbos for all kinds of applications including industrial equiptment I would say a hybrid T4/5 or even T5/6 turbo and ball bearing. But if i were you call them explain what your looking to do and your budget and they'll help you all the way.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/
Old 09-08-2006, 12:25 AM
wakebord99
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: androdz

If you going for a turbo dont buy a ready made kit, most kits use a t-67 turbo, You would want something bigger for the long run like a gt40 with a t04, careful they are gt40´s with a t03. That will give you all the hp you will ever want. I am researching where I can buy the pipes. So far I have found almost everything. I am looking into the street scene eq body kit because I want to purchase that body but I wanna see the clearance the front bumper gives. I am willing to cut some of the frame of the bumper to fit in the biggest damn intercooler I can fit in there. There is no such thing as having an intercooler that is 2 big.

ATt. Andrew
There are two quick things i want to advise on here..

1- There is such a thing as an intercooler that is too big, but you'll never buy one off the shelf that is too big for this car at 700 hp. Again i'ld talk with Garrett see if they sell anything.

2- Intercooler piping. If you want to keep any streetability to your car size does matter here. Dual turbo system no larger than 2.5", single turbo no larger than 3". And of course use mandral bent piping, and avoid at ALL COSTS using rubber 90 degree bends made of rubber. Weld most of the peices together so that the only rubber needed is between the turbo and the piping > piping and intercooler > intercooler back to piping > piping into TB.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:13 PM
RedfireGTCoupe

Also keep in mind that an off the shelf turbo my not be what you are looking for. You can explain when you want the power to come on and they can use the proper compressor wheel to reduce the amount of lag the turbo has. You also have to keep in mind that the exhaust piping that is connected to the turbo has a lot to do with spool up time. Too big and it takes forever for it to get to speed. The exhaust has to be the right size for your applicaton.

You could also go with a staged twin turbo setup. Have one turbo that spools early for getting off the line and through most of the powerband, and the second that takes over as the first one runs out of gas carrying it to your shift point. There are plenty of options out there as far as turbos are concerned.

The reason I think you hear more about superchargers is the fact that they are a little less involved that a turbo system. They are easier to make a "kit" that you can bolt in and go. With the horsepower you are looking to make I would lean to the turbo. Just stay away from the pre-made kits. They will limit your potential from the start.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:47 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

To be blunt, I am not a turbo fan. I would take a supercharger over a turbo any day of the week as you can build a killer mild mannered street engine with one.

But first choice will always be high horse NA motors.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:08 PM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

The standard KB 2.6 intercooled kit will do 500 rwhp with nothing more than a pulley change if your short block can handle it. To go to 600 rwhp would require a bigger MAF, injectors, and BAS. KB will provide the parts and matching tune. You provide a engine that can handle it. Over 600 rwhp would require the cobra fuel pump. KB claims the 2.6 is good to 950 crank HP.

The blower part is not difficult. You just need money and a tough shortblock and drivetrain.

I am at 9psi now with the KB and drivablility is not an issue. It simply feels like a much bigger engine. I plan to be at 12psi very soon and don't expect drivability problems at that level either.

ORIGINAL: Riggs007

i dont plan on stopping anywhere near there. The next step is to pick the right s/c setup. The car is not a daily driver, so i would like to hit the 600rwhp mark and i dont see any roots style hitting that mark, but they seem to be more reliable. I was probally going with a paxton or a procharger