Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Auto Transimission shift problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 12:25 PM
jgkjr

Default Problem with TCI Streetfighter

I installed TCI's Streetfighter shifter on my 05 mustang gt automactic, back in2008. Have put 18000 miles on it since then. Now I'm having major shifting problems. When the car is cold everything works fine. After the car has been running for 15 minutes and I'm using the shifter, the trans won't shift from 3rd to 4th unless I slow way down or I shift back to 3rd then back to 4th. Lately, the same thing is happening in 2nd to 3rd. Had tranny serviced about a year ago. I don't abuse the shifter or do I take it to the track. TCI told me it was in the tune. Reinstalled tune with no effect. If I run the car in Drive the trans seems to shift just fine. Anyone have a possible cause?
Old 07-29-2010, 07:25 PM
lazyboy31614@aol.com
2nd Gear Member

My only thought for you would be to check the linkage maybe something is hanging up causing the problem when "speed shifting."

Just an update on my build, i'm still waiting on the torque converter and the shifter, hopefully should get those sometime next week, or the week after. Sadly looks like i'll be away on business for awhile so when I get back I should be able to get the mustang back together and post some pictures of how the install went. I do have to say, I just got the deep tranny pan from brenspeed and this thing looks sick, very well made.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:09 PM
lazyboy31614@aol.com
2nd Gear Member

Well finally got it finished took about three days of working after getting home from work to finish it but all in all it wasn't to bad. The hardest part was probably getting the dipstick to mount correctly. I'll try to get pictures up later. One problem I did have, was that a hole on the torque converter was stripped and I had to retap it but all ended well. Make sure not to over fill the deep pan it will puke fluid everywhere wish I has paid closer attention at first but no harm done. A transmission jack is a major help, I only need help from another person to get the transmission on the jack haha that thing is heavy.

As far as some tips go, just take your time and don't try to skip any steps. There's a reason that it goes 1-10 and not 1, 6, 8, 10 haha
Old 08-24-2010, 01:22 AM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

nice, glad it went smoothly. Next is the tune from JDM or AM for the trans.

To jgkjr: all you have is the shifter? Not the trans? The reason your trans is messing up is because this is not a good trans to manually shift... I dont see the point and that is one of the main reasons these things fail. People manually shift them.... Dont do it. But sounds like your trans is toast.....
Old 08-24-2010, 01:50 PM
nazzypoo

I'm having the exact same problem with my tranny and its starting to worry me now that other people are having similar problems. Its been like this for over six months now and everything is fine when I'm driving normally, but once I go WOT third gear shifts extremely hard and you can hear a loud banging noise coming from what I'm assuming is the transmission. This cars my daily and I have to commute back and forth to school in about two weeks, and while I do have a nice stash of money in the bank I'm on a bit of a time line to pay my car off so I can't go spending too too much. Since I've been driving fine for a while now do you think this is something I should really look into getting fixed? I'm totally down for babying the car until i can get into a much more comfortable situation financially to have it looked at, but I'm just worried I may be doing more damage to the trans and have no idea about it.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:23 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nazzypoo
I'm having the exact same problem with my tranny and its starting to worry me now that other people are having similar problems. Its been like this for over six months now and everything is fine when I'm driving normally, but once I go WOT third gear shifts extremely hard and you can hear a loud banging noise coming from what I'm assuming is the transmission. This cars my daily and I have to commute back and forth to school in about two weeks, and while I do have a nice stash of money in the bank I'm on a bit of a time line to pay my car off so I can't go spending too too much. Since I've been driving fine for a while now do you think this is something I should really look into getting fixed? I'm totally down for babying the car until i can get into a much more comfortable situation financially to have it looked at, but I'm just worried I may be doing more damage to the trans and have no idea about it.

Sounds like the dreaded third gear of our transmissions..... its the weak link. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Call JDM and speak with them to see if their trans tunes can help you prolong the trans until you are more financially stable to do the rebuild
Old 08-27-2010, 02:16 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

From these posts, manually shifting seems like it might cause a potential problem down the road with this trans. I rarely do it myself.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:44 PM
lazyboy31614@aol.com
2nd Gear Member

Ok guys sorry it has taken me so long to finally get these pictures up but to be honest i've been lazy haha i hope my story helps others. If you plan on racing make sure the car can handle it but that's part of modding.
Attached Thumbnails Auto Transimission shift problem-002.jpg   Auto Transimission shift problem-003.jpg   Auto Transimission shift problem-004.jpg   Auto Transimission shift problem-005.jpg   Auto Transimission shift problem-006.jpg