Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

GTA mufflers on a 2010?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 04:03 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

There you go!
Perfect indeed on the 2010.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:19 AM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

At Flip's suggestion and after listening to jocatch's videos, I got the Magnaflow 16574 (Magnapack's) and installed them last night. They sound just about perfect.

No drone so far as I can tell, a nice step up in volume but nothing excessive. I've already received two compliments!

Thanks for the recommendation Flip and joe for the videos.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Heat00
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by VRFlip
You should try comparing the Magnaflow 16573 to the Magnaflow 16574. I'm sure there are some 16574 videos out there. I love mine. Just the right volume, no drone.
I think I have it narrowed down to the flowmaster 3 chambers or the magnaflow 16574's. i see so many people complaining about the flows but they seem to sound good in video clips and they sell a boatload of em. I had a set on my old 5.0 and they were perfect, but that was a long time ago. Many of the shops around here that I've asked about, all seem to recommend magnaflow over flows. since you have em, on what looks like a similar setup to me, can you comment a little more? did you look at other ones or hear any other ones?
Exhaust is so hard as you can't really tell from youtube etc. I had a very bad experience with exhaust on 335i, not only was the catback AA exhaust $1800, it was the worst drone you could ever imagine. that is what concerns be about the flows a little...

i would love the ford racing ones, mentioned above, but $700 plus for 2 mufflers is a bit much for me right now. I've searched all over the place and can't find a set of these or really any other good ones for sale used. that would be ideal.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Heat00
1st Gear Member

after just listening to some clips on that site someone posted above, man the bassani's sound pretty interesting... just so hard to tell from these videos lol.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:43 PM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Heat00
since you have em, on what looks like a similar setup to me, can you comment a little more? did you look at other ones or hear any other ones?
See my OP for my opinions of two others I tried.

I really like these. They have a much deeper, "tuned" sound below 2K, a similar quality sound to the stock '10 mufflers from 2-3K (only louder) and then a really nice muscle-car sound the rest of the way up.

Cruising along they are very quiet, anything below 2K and accelerating they get really rumbly/deep but it's never obnoxious, it sounds so good I haven't listened to the stereo since I got them. Basically, they retain the raspy sound I loved about the stockers in the 2-3K range, add lots of rumble down low and more volume up top. For some reason, it really makes the car more fun.

Finally, they installed beautifully with no bending, no modifications, no issues. And although the tips are supposedly the same 3.5" they look better and sit out just a bit further which looks great with my Roush valance.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Heat00
1st Gear Member

perfect, thanks for the details! It sounds like this will be my choice as well. I'm about 2 weeks out and will post after the install as well..

btw, I love the look of your 19" 5 spokes! a very clean, strong look to the car!
Old 08-12-2010, 02:25 PM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

perfect, thanks for the details! It sounds like this will be my choice as well. I'm about 2 weeks out and will post after the install as well..

btw, I love the look of your 19" 5 spokes! a very clean, strong look to the car!
You're welcome and hope you enjoy them as much as I am enjoying mine. Forgot to mention one thing, they definitely get louder/deeper as they warm up, unlike the stock mufflers.

Thanks for the compliment as well!
Old 08-12-2010, 05:20 PM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

I think I have it narrowed down to the flowmaster 3 chambers or the magnaflow 16574's. i see so many people complaining about the flows but they seem to sound good in video clips and they sell a boatload of em. I had a set on my old 5.0 and they were perfect, but that was a long time ago. Many of the shops around here that I've asked about, all seem to recommend magnaflow over flows. since you have em, on what looks like a similar setup to me, can you comment a little more? did you look at other ones or hear any other ones?
Exhaust is so hard as you can't really tell from youtube etc. I had a very bad experience with exhaust on 335i, not only was the catback AA exhaust $1800, it was the worst drone you could ever imagine. that is what concerns be about the flows a little...

i would love the ford racing ones, mentioned above, but $700 plus for 2 mufflers is a bit much for me right now. I've searched all over the place and can't find a set of these or really any other good ones for sale used. that would be ideal.

Sorry about the delayed response. Youtube videos are nearly useless, I watched many but the same setup will sound totally different from one video to the next. I actually just read as much as I could find on this forum about the various axle back options. My primary concern was drone, so that's where I focused my questions. I stalked a few fellow MFers and found some with the Magnaflows, and asked them for their opinions, and specifically about drone. Price was also a concern, and at around $500 for the set, the Magnaflows got high marks there as well.

You might try local forums or mustang clubs and have a listen to other peoples setups before you buy.

-Flip
Old 08-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Heat00
1st Gear Member

thanks! Ill keep you all posted and definitely post after install and hopefully it will help the next guy that is considering options, as you all have done for me!
Exhaust is very difficult as you don't know what will happen until its done lol.

I had a very bad "drone" experience on a previous car and there is nothing worse.

thank you all again for you help, comments and suggestions! Very much appreciated!