Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

CATs and FI..

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 01:55 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
When I had the HF cats in there I had pypes m80's and the sound was very good. When I cut out the HF cats I put in some cherry bomb glasspacks cause its the only one that would fit under there with the m80's already there. Sound is still loud but manageable.
Holy shiet.. do you notice any power loss with BOTH of those resonators in place?

I was thinking about eliminating my cut outs.. putting resonators in it's place, and possibly another set (like your set up) right after it, then leading up to the stock mufflers. I have JBA shorty headers and the stock cats up front.

I want to silence out the exhaust so that only the blower is heard
Old 03-03-2011, 08:14 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

i talked with bbk about this today, they told me their high flow cats use metallic substrates and are safe for FI. in fact they have been runnign a GT500 for a long time in testing with their carts and have no problems according to the tech guy.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:09 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
i talked with bbk about this today, they told me their high flow cats use metallic substrates and are safe for FI. in fact they have been runnign a GT500 for a long time in testing with their carts and have no problems according to the tech guy.
I am sure there are good ones out there but mine were ceramic therefore they had to go.

Stealth, zero loss of power. The hf cats were WAY more restrictive than the see through resonators. Both brands are very similar in style. You can see through them....they are hollow with some fiberglass packed around the perimeter. They really deepened the tone. I probably could have gotten away with just one set but since they were cutting out the HFs I figured might as well weld in something more than just pipe. And I did not want it any louder.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:37 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

did you ask BBK WHICH high flows they were speaking about?
I got their ceramic long tube headers and I am assuming the catted high flow midpipe I got from them is ceramic as well.

Did they say ALL their high flow catted midpipes were safe?
Old 03-04-2011, 10:47 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
did you ask BBK WHICH high flows they were speaking about?
I got their ceramic long tube headers and I am assuming the catted high flow midpipe I got from them is ceramic as well.

Did they say ALL their high flow catted midpipes were safe?
it was the onyl catted x they sell for the 05-10 cars i think 1637 is their part number. he siad

Our cats are Metallic cores. I have heard of this to with the supercharged engines. We have run our cats on a 09 GT500 and it’s supercharged and we had no problems. It has our long tubes, catted X-pipe, Throttle body and Cold Air kit on it. SCT program that was dialed in by our tuner. The car makes 530 HP and 492 ftlbs of torque. The parts have been running on his car for a about a year and half.

Mike Briggs
BBK Performance R&D
mbriggs@bbkperformance.com
www.bbkperformance.com
951-296-1771 ext 312
Old 03-04-2011, 12:44 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

thats really good to hear
Old 03-04-2011, 06:52 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Stealth, zero loss of power. The hf cats were WAY more restrictive than the see through resonators. Both brands are very similar in style. You can see through them....they are hollow with some fiberglass packed around the perimeter. They really deepened the tone. I probably could have gotten away with just one set but since they were cutting out the HFs I figured might as well weld in something more than just pipe. And I did not want it any louder.
Noice.. I want to keep the power, without the sound... I may even go with the comp cams stage 2 NSR in order to keep the idle very close to stock, from the cat back to the stock mufflers will be two resonators...

it was the onyl catted x they sell for the 05-10 cars i think 1637 is their part number. he siad

Our cats are Metallic cores. I have heard of this to with the supercharged engines. We have run our cats on a 09 GT500 and it’s supercharged and we had no problems. It has our long tubes, catted X-pipe, Throttle body and Cold Air kit on it. SCT program that was dialed in by our tuner. The car makes 530 HP and 492 ftlbs of torque. The parts have been running on his car for a about a year and half.

Mike Briggs
BBK Performance R&D
mbriggs@bbkperformance.com
www.bbkperformance.com
951-296-1771 ext 312