Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Flow masters VS Magnaflow

Old 07-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Souldriver
1st Gear Member

Default Flow masters VS Magnaflow

ok im looking at 2 axle backs for nothing else but improve the sound of my 07 gt/cs
The car sounds cool now but to me a car liek that should be a bit more vocal.

the two ones I have narrowed it down to are:
Flowmasters american thunder:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/flowma...ck-0510gt.html
and the magnaflow:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/2005-m...xhaust-gt.html

is there any place that i can go to in person to hear the difference? i remember when i was younger pep boys had stands set up that showed the difference.

does anyone have experience with the difference between these two?
it seems the flowmasters are just louder and roars more, while the magnas seems to be a deeper growl and an enhancement extending the stock sound.

is one incredibly louder than the other? how do H/X pipes affect this all?

thanks
Old 07-20-2011, 11:40 PM
BoomTown96
2nd Gear Member

I've been avoiding a response to this since I have a 96 GT and I cannot completely answer this for you. However youve had a decent amount of views without a response so ill give you my 2 cents.
This question can be hard to answer since your exhaust note is purely personal preference. When i replaced my stock cat back exhaust i spent a lot of time on google to find mustangs that had my identical modifications to decide between the american thunder exhaust and the magnaflows(cant remember which series specifically). There are a number of sites, as you may have found, that give many examples of sound clips. I ended up going with the Flowmasters to save a few bucks and have regretted the decision ever since.
As far as where to find in person examples, i guess the obvious answer is a local car show. As far as x-pipe verse h-pipe, I tend to like the note of an h-pipe more, but would prefer an x-pipe in almost all circumstances for performance reasons. In my limmited experience I would in general say the H-pipe has a deeper note while the x-pipe is a little higher and maybe even raspier. But dont forget how much the headers make a difference, and the entire setup in general.
In short I would say try to find examples of each exhaust with either your exact current set-up, or desired set-up. And take your time to find the exact note you are looking for.

Im certainly no expert and I hope someone else can add to this for you.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:46 AM
GerRod
2nd Gear Member

I've been looking at those Magnaflow mufflers. If you decide to get them, this is where I've find them cheapest.

http://discountperformanceexhaust.co...2-p-19574.html
Old 08-06-2011, 03:31 PM
TBooya06gt

i have the magnaflows on my 06 gt and their ok they sound mean when its quiet as hell around, but other than that they are really quiet. i knew a guy who had the flowmaster american thunder and it sounded bad ***. it sounded more old school but his car was also supercharged so that probably had a lil to do with it.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Souldriver
1st Gear Member

thanks for the input guys. im going magnaflow because i really dont want it to be too loud. i just want more meat to the thing. plus with a bright orange color i dont need anymore unwanted attention.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Souldriver
1st Gear Member

ps gerrod i sent you a PM
Old 08-07-2011, 04:49 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Either muffler will sound good. Changing anything in the exhaust line will effect its tone. Superchargers, headers, no cats, h or x pipe and cams all will change the tone. I had to buy the flowmaster AT's to quiet mine down. That wasnt even enough, so now I have pypes m80s and cherry bombs welded before the over axle pipe to help quiet it down. Its still loud as f*ck but manageable with no drone or trumpeting.