Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Saleen Supercharger Necessities? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 05:10 AM
rebus
1st Gear Member

Default Went with Brenspeed for the tune

Still shooting for the weekend of the 20'th for the install, already ordered my tune from Brenspeed, definitely going with the 3.6 pulley and Saleen Extreme 98mm MAF / airtube, and 39# injectors which I already had. Already experiencing the snowball effect. Got talked into installing GT500 fuel pumps. Even though it's overkill, not at all necessary, and not real cheap, they are supposed to give you "peace of mind" and are "cheap insurance". (great sales pitch) Also I'm told, they make it easier for the tuner because they can use the stock GT500 voltage tables. When I emailed Brenspeed, Doug suggested a BAP with the 3.6 pulley. When I called, they said they would tune my configuration with the stock pump, but it was edgy at high RPM. That made me a little nervous, so the dual pumps solved the issue. I also opted to make my own extended alternator charge cable using marine #4 AWG cable and a 175 amp mega fuse instead of extending the stock cable.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:45 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rebus
Still shooting for the weekend of the 20'th for the install, already ordered my tune from Brenspeed, definitely going with the 3.6 pulley and Saleen Extreme 98mm MAF / airtube, and 39# injectors which I already had. Already experiencing the snowball effect. Got talked into installing GT500 fuel pumps. Even though it's overkill, not at all necessary, and not real cheap, they are supposed to give you "peace of mind" and are "cheap insurance". (great sales pitch) Also I'm told, they make it easier for the tuner because they can use the stock GT500 voltage tables. When I emailed Brenspeed, Doug suggested a BAP with the 3.6 pulley. When I called, they said they would tune my configuration with the stock pump, but it was edgy at high RPM. That made me a little nervous, so the dual pumps solved the issue. I also opted to make my own extended alternator charge cable using marine #4 AWG cable and a 175 amp mega fuse instead of extending the stock cable.
I did the same thing when I upgraded to the stage 3 saleen. I went ahead and had the gt500 fuel pumps installed also. For both peace of mind and if i want to continue on with the build. As of right now im happy even though I havent driven it yet with the stage 3
Old 11-05-2011, 10:18 PM
TylerT
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I'm currently looking at hopeful winter, early spring install. I'm in the process of picking up a second job to pay for the extras.

I'm getting pretty excited when I got out to the garage everyday and see it sitting there in the box. I can't wait!
Old 11-29-2011, 02:37 AM
rebus
1st Gear Member

Default It will be worth the wait!

Finished the install Sun the 20'th! Only had two hitches, the Alt pulley kit had the wrong thread pitch nut and the bolt under the boost bypass vacuum reservoir was almost inaccessible with the valve tie-wrapped in the up position. A shallow universal 10mm from Craftsman would be a good thing to have if you don't want to remove the bypass canister for access. I had the lid off to re-weld a broken inter-cooler bracket so I had calibrated the bypass valve on the bench and didn't want to disturb it. One other thing worth mentioning is we had to pressure bleed the intercooler system at the reservoir inlet in order to get the pump circulating. The Brenspeed tune is xlnt, feels very similiar to my Chris Rose Tillman tune with a slightly touchy throttle tip in. Wheel spin is just a push of the throttle away with an automatic and 3:31 gears w/255x18's and full suspension. Don't have gauges, and haven't dyno'd or data logged yet, so I don't want to push it too hard, however the tune feels perfect by the butt dyno. The whine from the blower when you jump on it is intoxicating, which will lead you to a big grin and lower fuel mileage numbers. All in all I had a lot of fun putting the project together, and I couldn't be more pleased with the way it turned out. Now hopefully I won't grenade it!
Old 11-29-2011, 06:19 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

now get urself a torque converter installed and u will have a bigger smile on your face. Glad to see you have had the chance to play.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:37 PM
rebus
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
now get urself a torque converter installed and u will have a bigger smile on your face. Glad to see you have had the chance to play.
I'll bet it would! I have a 72 vette with a 383 and a switch pitch torque converter from a Buick. It has two stall speeds 3200/2100 at the flip of a switch on my shifter. Loads of fun in that car minus the blower whine. It must be insane running a stalled Saleen! Food for thought.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:25 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I will say this concerning the opinions of my friends when I had the supercharger installed and later the torque convertor. When I gave rides in the car after the sc install my friends thought it was cool but after the tq install you could really see on there faces how impressed they were. Most couldnt believe how different the car felt. And when I saw there faces I knew they hadnt felt anything like that before.