5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Throttle body water lines?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 11:06 PM
Jaggezz
I ♥ Acer

Default Throttle body water lines?

I noticed on my car a few months ago that two lines (that looked like the went on my TB) had bolts stuck in them so they were bypassed. I hooked them back up, not knowing any better.

A guy on here said that it makes the intake charge alot hotter, and that by bypassing the hoses together will gain hp (or atleast make it run a bit better).

Has anybody had experience with this? Any advice?

It makes sense, but I was wondering if any of you guys have done this. Is is worth bypassing or should I just leave it like it is?
Old 07-10-2006, 11:08 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: Throttle body water lines?

They are there for a reason. To help cool the egr gases thus helping reduce egr gas temps.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:25 PM
BCP
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jaggezz

I noticed on my car a few months ago that two lines (that looked like the went on my TB) had bolts stuck in them so they were bypassed. I hooked them back up, not knowing any better.

A guy on here said that it makes the intake charge alot hotter, and that by bypassing the hoses together will gain hp (or atleast make it run a bit better).

It makes sense, but I was wondering if any of you guys have done this. Is is worth bypassing or should I just leave it like it is?
Bernie is right, if the EGR and smog stuff is still hooked up then you will be losing hp cause there is nothing cool the recircualted exhaust gasses. If the EGR stuff is no longer fuctioning (air tube, smog pump etc disconnected or removed) then you could leave the coolant lines off of the EGR spacer and hooked to each other.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:21 AM
Jaggezz
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: BCP

Bernie is right, if the EGR and smog stuff is still hooked up then you will be losing hp cause there is nothing cool the recircualted exhaust gasses. If the EGR stuff is no longer fuctioning (air tube, smog pump etc disconnected or removed) then you could leave the coolant lines off of the EGR spacer and hooked to each other.
You mean if it still ISNT hooked up?

Reread your post.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:51 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BCP

You mean if it still ISNT hooked up?

Reread your post.
I would imagine he means "is hooked up," as these things--particularly the EGR--will create more heat within that spacer...I think.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:03 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

Whoever told you that is dead wrong.
I have a FAQ on my site. I would copy it here, but I am too lazy to reformat.
Here... http://www.freewebs.com/vristang/50e...sequipment.htm

You are better off hooking the coolant back up to the EGR spacer.
jason
Old 07-11-2006, 09:53 AM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

leave EGR alone unless heavy heavy mods are done and the car is reprogrammed.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:10 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

I also heard that you are supposed to plug the lines... basically someone told me that its making your air alot hotter considering you have coolant flowing through everything.... Just what I heard